View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 AM

ju1234
When I first started growing hydroponically I used the General Hydroponics Flora series nutrients. I have nothing agents them, and they worked great. But when I started expanding my systems, I just couldn't see paying in excess of $100 to make less than 400 gallons of nutrient solution. First off, if your looking for economical nutrients, the dry nutrients will give you the best value. I'm always looking out for new sources of inexpensive nutrients. Here is a list of the ones I've found so far.

Verti-Gro
They make different formulas. But when you order the 25 lbs 5-10-25, Hydroponic Formula (SKU#: F510255x5) and the Calcium Nitrate, 15-0-0, 25 lbs (SKU#: F15005X5), the total comes out to about $130 including tax and shipping. It makes about 5000 gallons of nutrient solution. That breaks down to less than 3 cents (.026) a gallon of full strength nutrient solution. You can get the FCombo package, and that will make about 500 gallons of nutrient solution for $40 (including shipping), that comes out to about 8 cents a gallon of full strength nutrient solution. But your best value is the 25lb quantity's.

JR PETERS
They also make different formulas. I have the "Jack’s Professional 16-4-17 Hydro Herb FeED" in my garage right now for use in my herb greenhouse. With shipping it cost about $65 total, and makes close to 4,000 gallons of full strength nutrient solution. That breaks down to less than 2 cents (.016) a gallon. When I bought it a few months ago I believe it was $29.95 ($30 what I said in my earlier post). Now it's $35 (+ shipping= about $65), still very reasonable at less than 2 cents a gallon of nutrient solution.

QuickGrow
I haven't used these yet, although I have a good friend here in town that does and loves them. I forget what the mixing directions are, so I can't really give the break down per gallon. But I do know, price comparison wise it's very similar to the verti-gro nutrients when buying the larger quantities.

Here are a couple of other options that I haven't tried yet, but eventually plan to.
Hydro-Gardens Fertilizers
Crop King fertilizers

Unless making commercial quantities, there is no reason to go to the effort and initial cost of trying to make your own nutrients with prices like these that I can see. The only reason would be to be able to make your own custom blend.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-09-2012 at 06:05 AM.