View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 12:47 PM

Default Noob looking at a "dual-mode" system

Hola to Everyone,

Admitted newbie here!

I want to start an outdoor hydroponics system for a variety of veggies and fruits. I have an old, unused fountain on a large open patio that can hold around 220 gallons in the base. It is circular with a center podium and a very thick outer retaining wall (good thermal insulation?).

From what I have read so far, this would lend itself nicely to a DWC or raft type system for lettuce, spinach, lighter plants and perhaps strawberries. But I would also like to do some heavier plants like tomato's, cucumbers, beans, peas, bell peppers, etc and and would like to consider a drip bucket system for those.

One kicker is that I live in the Sonoran desert in northern Mexico and the summer heat can be brutal. I had planned on building some custom Peltier coolers to take care of keeping the water temps low enough to not damage the roots during the hot months.

I was thinking that a fairly tight fitting raft lid made of perhaps 2"-3" styrofoam would help insulate the water better than the usual 1" foam, but I can experiment with that when summer arrives.

So, if I put a properly sized pump in the reservoir for the drip buckets, what are the negatives to running both a raft type system and a drip system out of the same large reservoir?

Another question is about bubblers. I have read that some kinds of nutrients recommend to not use a bubbler with their product. Any thoughts on that with this kind of setup? I would prefer a liquid part AB type nutrient system as it seems easier than having to stir a lot to dissolve flakes, but like I said, I am new at this and still in the research stage so am certainly open to comments from you more experienced folks!

Thanks for any and all ideas!

MJ