View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 01:55 PM

Hello Mervin,
Legend? Thanks you flatter me. I'm just a guy that was where you are when I first started growing hydroponically (with lots of questions) many years ago too. I was a newbie when I joined this forum myself. Everybody starts somewhere. Over the years I learned by doing, and have done lots of research as well. I just stuck around the forum to help other people when I can.

I know many people like the Kratky method but I'm not a fan myself. I personally don't see any reason to eliminate the air pump from a water culture system unless you live in an area that doesn't have electricity. The air pump is to beneficial to just eliminate for no reason. Cost to run isn't an issue either, they cost next to nothing to run, even 24/7.

Besides adding an air pump my first suggestion is not to use the rockwool cubes. Rockwool cubes suck up water like a sponge, and that constant moisture around the stem causes stem rot. Saturated rockwool cubes can also suffocate the roots, thus lead to root rot. If your going to use rockwool cubes you have to control the moisture level very carefully. I prefer to use coco fiber myself. Coco fiber provides much better aeration to the roots and won't become water logged easily. Also to prevent pathogens make sure you use a good quality water source, and everything is cleaned and sanitized before use. Seedlings should also have high humidity, but have good air circulation as well. Air circulation is important in plant transpiration as well as preventing fungal diseases.

P.S.
I don't really use social media sites. You can e-mail me at the e-mail address on the "contact us" page of my website HomeHydroSystems.com I don't like posting e-mail addresses in an open forum because spammers collect them from forums. But the e-mail address is posted on the contact us page of my web site.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 02-10-2017 at 01:58 PM.