View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM

NorEastFla
I do agree in both that just because it's on a commercial site does not mean it's inaccurate, nor just because it's on a .edu site would mean that it was always completely accurate either. Just that I prefer to start with .edu sites because it's much less likely to be inaccurate, and I don't need to worry if they are modifying there results to favor there products and/or services. But yes there is always disagreements and favoritism thought the scientific community's. And even valid study's being done by educational institutions are often one sided in there results, especially when they are trying to secure funding to continue projects. That's really just the human element of human nature after all.

I wish that I have done all the reading on the subject of hydroponics that you have. I have known about hydroponics for over 20 years, but have only really been getting into it for the past 2 years or so. Also I have dyslexia and that causes me problems with reading, both in spelling issues and misreading words, but also it makes it hard to concentrate on what it is that I am trying to read. That's one of the reasons I like printing out pdf files, and articles I put in text documents, it makes it easier for me to read when trying to concentrate on it. I don't think that I have ever read a book all the way through in my life. I don't even try to read fiction books because reading is just to much work unless I'm trying to learn something. But I do really want to learn all about hydroponics that I can. That by default means learning all about the plants as well, including plant biology, diseases, pests and beneficial microbes. But all I can do is take it one day at a time.

I have the book you mention "hydroponic food production" on my want to get list, along with the "Hydroponic Strawberry production" book that I've been wanting (always low on cash). I have herd the name "Dr. Resh" and knew he was an authority in hydroponics, but didn't know much about him. While looking up his book I came across his website. www.howardresh.com and bookmarked it. I may try to see if they have it at the library. I know that nether the county or collage library's have the "Hydroponic Strawberry production" book, and cant even get it from another library. They did a nation wide search and found only one copy in New York somewhere, and being that far couldn't send it to my library.