Thread: water testing
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 AM

There is no reason I can think of where pH can change from something that is not in contact with the water. Possibly under high electromagnetism, that might have an effect on some of the metal mineral elements like iron and magnesium. Other than that there isn't any logical reason concrete that isn't even touching the water to affect it's pH. But I can tell you if your using a electronic meter to test pH, it's very common for meters to give false readings. I also don't know what kind of fluctuation you were/are experiencing, and it's very common for new growers using electronic meters to think a fluctuation of a few tenths is significant. But such small fluctuations are normal and of no consequence.

Quote:
So why can I not get test equipment for doing complete water analysis?
Well, it's not that you cant, but for the same reason hydroponic shops don't stock or even sell the equipment to do that. It's just way to expensive, and nobody has the money to buy them. I forget what it's called, but some kind of "scope" I believe. And you might be able to find a used one for under $5000. That's why even most commercial hydroponic farms pay labs for testing. Although commercial farms generally send in leaf samples for testing to see what elements the plants are lacking, or have in excess. And generally only do water quality testing in order to have custom nutrients matched to their water supply. Or in cases where they may suspect pathogens and/or disease etc. in the water supply. But UV light treatment will kill pathogens, fungi, as well as bacteria in the water supply (basically any living micro-organism).