View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 AM

Default Alpha 1 system

In response to your 11/22 post, your ideas for a system sound real good. It's similar to my system except for a few things. I don't know anything about indoor growing so I have no advice on grow lights and other factors but to me your description of your stand, PVC tubes for plants, pump and tank are why I think NFT system is easiest and most beginner friendly. I don't know anything except NFT system and have had success with it.

I use 12 foot long aluminum troughs 12 inches in width because I always thought 4"PVC or more would not be enough for tomato root mass.

You mentioned using hydroten or net pots in the PVC tubes. To me, an NFT system doesn't need any type of medium in your tubes or trough except the initial seed started plugs. I start my seeds in 1 1/4 oasis cubes placed in plastic 10-20 flat trays. I cut slits in the bottom of plastic trays, put the seeded oasis cubes in it and leave it in troughs. Sprouts occur in 4-6 days and after 15-17 days I take the strongest plants and transplant them directly to the troughs spaced 1 foot apart.

I have a plastic top piece that covers my troughs and when I look under it, the root masses cover my entire trough. I don't cover my nutrien reservoir so I have to strain algae every day. I don't think the algae has deadly effects on my plants however it's probably not good for them and competes for oxygen. You mentioned an overflow pipe which is what I have with a ball valve to adjust flow. I have my overflow pipe and drain setup so the water has a nice drop into my tank providng more oxygenation.

I have a hanna combo tester which I use to measure PH, EC and water temp every day.

In a few days I am getting ready for a small setup, I'll post pics from seeding to transplanting. I am only planting 4 plants but they are indeterminate tomato plants which I have never tried before so it should be interesting.

Regards,
Mattm