View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 02:57 PM

Default Updates, status and checking in…

Hey Stan, Haven’t talked in a while, hope everything’s OK in your area. I’m still going strong and have already “retired” two of the plants you sent me. So I have 3 of the large heirlooms (from seeds you sent me) still producing and I have a cherry and “tear drop” in 2 of the Dutch buckets. I also have a Big Boy and a Big Daddy in the cloner bucket. The rail system really took off (see pics). All the herbs/spices grew quickly into large bushes, the Bok Choy is fantastic, had some for dinner yesterday along with the first summer squash. The Dutch buckets have consumed 381 gallons of nutrient since November 1st. !

I have some butter crunch lettuce in the infant stage (seed starter) as well for the rail system. I tried Tom Thumb lettuce seeds but after 3 tries (and many rockwool cubes) not a one germinated. I still seem to be having an issue getting seeds to germinate. I’m using the standard 10X20 seedling tray with mat, but still some seed types never germinate.

I do wish now I would’ve laid the rails out as you suggested – flat 8’ lengths. I had to build a platform for the squash – one plant has 7 squashes! I’ve learned a number of lessons and may “re-do” the rail system at some time. I’m thinking 10’ X 6” diameter pvc with more spacing and access holes to sprayers. I envision a type of “tray” between pipes for things like small mellons, squash, cucumbers etc. Anyway – that’s an AutoCad project for another day.

Again, hope all is well, stay in touch!
GDGDAD
Attached Images