Thread: PVC inserts
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 08:48 PM

Strawberry's are fairly small plants when you have one plant per container. The problem only comes when the wick cant wick up enough water to replace what the plant uses, and if it is hot what evaporates from the containers. Then it will just slowly dry out. A lot will depend on how well the material wicks it up, how thick it is, if you use a lot of it, basically the whole design. I haven't been to a target in years, we don't have one in this town. The nearest town that might would be a 3 hour drive round trip. But if you can find a link to the self watering pots online I can have a look.

The 11 plant system is generally a flood and drain system, you can convert it though. I am not sure how you were planing to do that. Is each bottle going to have its own wick that runs all the way down the tube into a reservoir? If so you will need real large tubing to run all the wicks that are large enough to work well. Or were you planing it so that each bottle will have its own reservoir and wick in it, with the main reservoir being at a level that you can control the water level in all the bottles, and do nutrient changes at the same time. If it were me I would go the way of the second option. I have never built a wick system, so I'm not sure how well nylon cord will work, I understand that strips of felt works well though. But running the wick all the way up to the top of the growing medium should be helpful.