View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
While I have some ideas already brewing, I thought I'd ask if anyone has suggestions for type of system or particular crop for the experiment?
As I mentioned on an earlier post, I have been considering what appropriate trial tests may prove valuable to understanding the efficacy of growstones over other, more popular and entrenched, media. Since they manufacture three particle sizes - small (<0.079"), medium (1/16"-7.16"), and large (1/2"-1"), I think it is appropriate to test all three against other competing media. For the small size, which is recommended for propagation, I am considering testing growstones against aeroponics and perlite with herbs (e.g. bail, catnip, etc). For the medium size, which is recommended for soil amendment, I am thinking about testing growstones against rice hulls (which have a relatively-large air capacity) and a hybrid mixture of the two in a recirculating drip setup. Finally, growstone, shredded rockwool, and a mixture of the two will be tested for the large-sized media on tomato plants, conducted in a recirculating flood-and-drain bucket system.