View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenState View Post
So I'm new to this a bit, this winter I have had successes with both dwc and ebb and flow lettuce. I'm busy getting stuff started for the outside garden but I have been thinking about doing some hydro outdoors.

It sounds like nft is the preferred outdoor technique using some sort of pipe or gutter. Any system that you use indoors can be used outdoors if it will meet the plants requirements with some planning.
My concerns are the res and the very difficult task of burying anything without a backhoe. I did not bury my nutes last year because I had the same issue, rocky ground and no backhoe. I made coolers or chillers and made sure they were kept in the shade. I even resorted to just freezing 2 ltr bottles and throwing them in the nutes.
And power failure leading to the quick death of plants.
If you design you system correctly some of that can be delayed or even prevented. Design your system so there there is a small amout of water in it even when the pump is off and some of your plants will survive.

How do you size the res? How many gallons per plant. have read 2.5 gals per a plant but I had much less then that and mine did fine. It varies depending on plants, and climate also

I also have a problem with very high Ph (8) water. So the res can not easily be topped off without PH correction. So if away for a few days there has to be enough water. Or is there some sort of cheap way to auto correct this if I use a float valve? I think that is the perfect solution with it hooked up to a tank of PH balanced water.

We loose power a lot, while I do have a generator if I'm not home its not going to get started.

Anyone have any luck with 12 volt dc pumps? I was think a large battery and a charger connected, so when to power goes out the pump keeps running. I might even consider a solar panel if I can find one cheep. Harbor frights has a cheap solar panel that I have heard makes a greater beginners system.

Also can you use one res for multiple plant types? Is there a happy medium for the food. Something every plant will like.
Most plants can start in the same solution, but as they start to flower or fruit they will need not only a different strength but different stuff! I use the Flora Nova Grow 2 part which is a grow part and a bloom/fruit part. Plants that do not fruit/bloom will always be on the first part, never needing the second. You can also use additives like a cal/mag supplement for tomatoes. Also you will want to put plants that need the same PH, PPM, and even temprature together whenever possible. (I do not really worry about the PPM's right now, just PH. If I ever get a greenhouse or decide to do hydroponics as more then a hobby then I will get an automated system. hope this helps some...

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 03-10-2012 at 04:02 PM.