Thread: Animal fodder
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

GPS, I hear ya on the busy part. I have starting converting my property into a homestead raising chickens, getting them set up, planning the greenhouse and other projects. Master Gardeners has slowed down thank goodness so I have a bit more time but I have been working a lot of OT. Winter is fast approaching so I have been finishing up the garden (which I NEVER plan to grow food in the soil again, except containers) putting away the hydro units and remodeling our lambing barn into a chicken coop. I have been doing a ton of research on everything homestead related and I even learned to crochet this week.

As for the fodder, right now I am just hand watering it. I purchased plastic food storage containers roughly the size of a small shoe box, I drilled several very small holes in one end and it is set up to be either a manual system or to animate it later which I plan to. I soak the seed for 24 hours, drain into a colander, rinse and put into the container. I sometimes just spray it when I get home from work if I am just too tired to rinse it. Then when I get up in the afternoon I rinse them a few times to get the nastiness out and let drain. I feed what I am going to feed that day and replace it with the soaked seeds which I rinse several times. I also wash out the used containers with bleach or hydrogen peroxide. I have not had a problem w/mold or any other problems doing it this way but I would like to put it on a pump and timer soon.

Really interested in your system, can't wait to be able to see the design. Keep up the good work....
Tracy
Attached Images