View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Hello Twilly,
Actually the size of the full grown plant is my first consideration when deciding on what type of system I will grow something in, and how I will go about building it. And always thinking about durability, as well as easy maintenance. Personally I'm not a fan of using water culture systems for large plants like tomatoes for that very reason, not for any large plant that would need external support to hold the plants up. It's just to difficult to lift the plant and trellis up at the same time, and if you just lift the plant and not the trellis it's tied to, there's too much chance of damaging the plant.

I'm not sure what variety of tomato plant that is (indeterminate or determinate), but if it's a indeterminate plant, it will quickly outgrow that tomato cage. One thing that I have seen people do to make maintenance easier, is incorporating a drain plug at the bottom of the reservoir, that way they don't need to lift the plant to empty the nutrient solution. They can get out residual solution out by flushing it with plain water, then letting that drain out too. Then just close off the opening at the bottom of the reservoir, and fill it up with freshly mixed nutrient solution through a small opening in the lid (top).