View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 03:52 AM

Hello NorEastFla,
I could use smaller 2 inch net pots, the crown (where the strawberry plant comes out of) is not likely to be more than 1.5 inches. But I don't see that as much of an advantage. It's the angle (45 degrees) that makes the difference. Weather it's a 2,3 or 4 inch net pot, the 45 degree angle will only allow the same percentage of the net pot to be submerged at full flooding. Less than a 45 degree angle and the plant design is compromised. With the round surface (of the tube) the the opening is not flush, making the holes lower (to maintain the same 45 degree angle). With square tubing, each side of the tube is a 45 degree angle, and the pots will sit flush with the tube, raising the water level somewhat without compromising the 45 degree angle. I attached a couple of pictures to help explain what I mean.

The reason for staggering the the plants from the right to left side is to allow the plants to reach full size without crowding. Also allowing air circulation between plants. So sticking two plants in the same pot would defeat the purpose of that. Rockwoll does have a good wicking action (so does coco chips that I intend to use) but unless it's long enough, and is bent at a 45 degree angle downward, I cant see any advantage.
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 08-26-2010 at 03:57 AM.