View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Some plants have male and female flowers, other have both male female parts in the same flower, some have male and female plants and others have the male and female parts at different locations on the same plant.

Squash, Pumpkins, Watermelons, and Cucumbers all have male and female flowers. Look closely at the base of the flower the female will have the small fruit below it, the males will not. The way i pollinate those is, remove the male flowers from the plant, and carefully remove the petals from the flower. Than carefully hold the open female flower and rub the male around inside the female, making sure to touch all the female flower parts with the pollen.

Plants like Tomatoes and Green Beans have both the male and female parts inside the same flower. For those I just give them a good shake everyday.

Plants like Corn the Tassel is the male part and the silk on the ears are the female parts. A fan will normally work for these.

Other plants like Asparagus have male and female plants, normally you only plant the males, because you don't want the plants making seed and over crowding the growing area.

Most big Green Houses will buy Bumblebee hives and use those to pollinate their tomato plants.

I hope this helps.