Thread: Local Fair
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 05:05 AM

Hey fintuckyfarms, I read your post about creating a display for the fair earlier but got busy and completely forgot to reply. Not sure if you have come with something yet, but I have a few questions.

1. Does it need to be grown in a raised bed?
2. What kind of space are you working with?
3. You mentioned that there wasn't much shade, is a shade cloth cover an option?
4. is this going to be a permanent structure (during the fair), or something that's movable? If it's not able to be moved then it will need to be setup and grown in place well before the fair starts.
5. You mentioned they want to be able to harvest while the fair is going on, how much do they want to be able to harvest?
6. Are they paying for the display? If so do you know what type of budget you have to work with?
7. Are you/they wanting to grow more than one crop for variety?
8. You mentioned it would be running through august, have you decided how you are going to keep the nutrient solution cool through the summer months?
9. What is your average summer temps?

Depending on the answers, some of the things I could see being a hit growing during summer are strawberry's, small watermelons, cantaloupe (sorry I forgot your allergenic to cantaloupe), tomato's, peppers, as well as many herbs. Particularly any summer fruit.