Thread: Local Fair
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hey fintuckyfarms, I read your post about creating a display for the fair earlier but got busy and completely forgot to reply. Not sure if you have come with something yet, but I have a few questions.

1. Does it need to be grown in a raised bed? No, I think I can do anything I want.
2. What kind of space are you working with? They haven't really told me and I am familur with the area they want to use and I don't think space will be an issue.
3. You mentioned that there wasn't much shade, is a shade cloth cover an option?Yes that is an option and I can poss use the north side of the exhisting barn, but that might be too much shade.
4. is this going to be a permanent structure (during the fair), or something that's movable? If it's not able to be moved then it will need to be setup and grown in place well before the fair starts.Since I only live 5 minutes away it could be either. I think I would prefer to move it up there a week or so before fair but I am open to suggestions.
5. You mentioned they want to be able to harvest while the fair is going on, how much do they want to be able to harvest? I think it is more to show the public what it looks like, I would have to have a ginormus greenhouse to give something to everyone at the fair.
6. Are they paying for the display? If so do you know what type of budget you have to work with? They have not yet mentioned any budget, but I was thinking about seeing if our local hydroponics store might sponsor me for some of it.
7. Are you/they wanting to grow more than one crop for variety? I believe so, however I also plan on using some professional displays with color pictures that should be sufficient for information and demonastration.
8. You mentioned it would be running through august, have you decided how you are going to keep the nutrient solution cool through the summer months?I am thinking about putting one in the ground, maybe using the little cooler I made for another and I also have an old freezer that I might utilize coiling some hose in it.
9. What is your average summer temps?Summer can range from May to October and anywhere from 70's to 110.

Depending on the answers, some of the things I could see being a hit growing during summer are strawberry's, small watermelons, cantaloupe (sorry I forgot your allergenic to cantaloupe), tomato's, peppers, as well as many herbs. Particularly any summer fruit.
I am already thinking about zuchinni, sugar peas, bush beans and I think I might try the pumpkins and tomatoes in buckets. I also think I might show a nursery in a clear container so people can see the roots hanging down.