Thread: My First system
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 AM

ok, as promised here are the pictures of the basil and the discoloring of the grow medium.

The only medium that is showing the discoloration is the one in the actual system. It is getting a more regular spray of nutrients than the ones in the seedling tray (they get a couple spritzings a day from a spray bottle with a similar mix)

The res is still clear and clean. I noticed a small amount of "dust" collection on the filter for the UV light. Not a major amount, but noticeable.

The first is of the poor basil plant. The other looks similar. The decision to pull the cover off and let more light get to the plants was based on the other plants, not the basil. The tomatoes and lettuce seem to be enjoying the extra exposure.

The hydroponic system is on a 15 on off cycle (might try a 15:30 later)

Nutrients : GH Maxi Bloom
Temp around 80F
Res temp about the same. The house temp is stable about there and there are only fractional variations in the res temp
Sterilizing agent: chlorine bleach (the other plants don't seem to mind it at all)

Note: I also started to notice the leaves that died were acting odd before I made the change over. I think that it might have been damping off because I was watering the basil with the same pattern as the rest of my plants. I noticed some small discoloration under the leaves that died before they gave up. (hind sight 20:20) If the Basil makes it it makes it. If not there is always the next bit of seeds to grow lol.. I am learning about the different plants as I go lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by jamromhem; 08-23-2011 at 08:44 AM.