Thread: Pump Flow
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 AM

Hello MickR33

Quote:
1. What does it smell like? Is it a musty smell or smell like mold?
A: Wet Towels
I'm a bit confused because I would think a wet towel would probably smell a bit musty. But I don't know if that's what it seems like to you.

Quote:
2. What is the water temperature?
A: 28 Deg Celsius (82.4 Fahrenheit)
That's a little high, but not to bad. Though I wouldn't let it get any higher, and try and lower it If you can. The optimum water temp is between 68 and 72 Fahrenheit (20 to 22.2 Celsius). Temps in the mid 80 Fahrenheit and higher can cause heat stress for the plant. However not only do high water temps cause heat stress, but also provide the optimum environment for pathogens to take over. Your probably OK at 82.4 Fahrenheit, but I wouldn't want to let it get any higher, and try to get it down if I could.

Quote:
3. What nutrients are you using? Do you have a link to them online?
A: Fairform Green Dream 1 Grow
http://www.flairform.com/products/nu...endream-1-part
OK, I just wanted to know if they were organic nutrients or not. Often times people don't know for sure, but if I have the link I can check myself. Organic nutrients are made from animal waste, and contain live microorganisms, fungi, and micro flora. This stuff can easily give off a bad smell. But your nutrients don't appear to be organic. Synthetic nutrients like what your using can have a little smell and color to them, but shouldn't be a source of a strong smell.

Quote:
4. How does the water look? (is it translucent or cloudy)
A: Crystal Clear
Your nutrients should be giving some color to the water, by Crystal Clear I assume you mean translucent and not cloudy. This would be a good thing since your not using organic nutrients. Cloudy water would likely indicate there is live microorganisms, fungi and/or micro flora growing in it. If there were microorganisms growing in it, they would most likely be pathogenic (harmful to your plants). It's not that beneficial microorganisms cant be in your water, because there is. But it's a balance between beneficial and harmful ones. Considering your water temps, that could tip the scales for the harmful ones. The air pump helps keep the pathogens from taking over, but the water temp is a big factor as well.

Quote:
5. What are you using for the water source?
A: PH balanced tap water
OK. But I still don't know what the source of your tap water is. If the water isn't filtered and treated it may contain spores and microorganisms that can be harmful to your plants. Not everyone's tap water is the same, and if it were from a municipal treatment plant it would likely be fine. They filter and treat the water to kill any microorganisms and spores. But if the water is from a well, lake, river, reclaimed rain water, etc. the homeowner is usually responsible for treating the water to kill the microorganisms and spores. If not this could be a source of harmful pathogens. As the pathogens grow and multiply they give off a bad smell.

Quote:
6. Is there any foam on top of the water?
A: No foam
OK, this is good. Foam would indicate live microorganisms, fungi, and/or micro flora in the water. It would also mean that they are there in high numbers. Usually the water will turn cloudy before you start seeing foam on top.

Quote:
7. Along with the nutrients, are you using any additives?
A: No additives
Sometimes additives will have beneficial live live microorganisms, bacteria, and fungi in them. Even beneficial microorganisms can give off a bad smell. I asked about additives specifically because there have been a number of times people have told me what nutrients they were using , but didn't say anything about the additives they were using as well.

Quote:
8. How do the roots look, are they white and strong, or brown/black and slimy.
A: White and strong still
Good. It's normal for the older roots to take on some color from the nutrients in the water, but you don't want to see them turn real dark/black or see any slimy on them. White roots are healthy roots, even if the older ones take on color from the nutrients.

Conclusion
From what you have said, I don't see any real reason to worry right now. I am a little concerned by what you say is a smell, however I'm unclear if it's actually a musty/moldy smell or not. Even so none of the indications that there is something growing in your water/nutrients seem to be there from what you've said. I would just keep a look out for the signs I mentioned. Also I would find out more about the water source to see if it is filtered and treated water, to find out if it could potentially be a source of a problem.