View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
There is a remarkable difference in how much nutrients and oxygen the roots can take up when the temps are in the correct range.
I cant agree more. I grow everything outside and have to deal with ranges in temperatures between 30 degrees F (winter nights) and 120+ degrees F (summer days). nutrient temp (and overall root zone temp) is very important to my success (or lack of). That was my first lesson in hydroponics (I learned the hard way). I also agree that a aquarium heater is probably the best way to keep (above ground reservoirs) nutrient temps in the right range. Last winter I couldn't afford one, even though it was only about $15 ea (I had 3 systems running at that time). I tried using heating pads that I got at the salvation army for $1. That was a lot of trouble to get to work right without shorting out (killed 2 of them), but heck that was all I could afford at the time.

Summers are a whole other issue, I do have a new plan of attack other than the in ground geothermal reservoir (I will still be using), that I plan to test come spring. I got the idea from someone in another forum who says it works well. I get the setup and principals of operation, I just haven't tested it myself (and wont be able to until it gets hot again).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 10-20-2010 at 03:45 AM.