View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 01:44 AM

I understand what you are saying about plant kinetics, fluids or plant parts moving as a result of a stimulus. I'm more concerned with the direction of capillary flow and is it controlled by anything more than fluid evaporation from the leaves. Belive me, I am not trying to dispute what you are telling me. Far from it. I appreciate how much I've learned already based on your responses to my query.

If I may quote from a webpage the URL of which is : Botany

"Photosynthesis is the process by which light energy is utilized to convert carbon dioxide and water into food to be used by plants. Oxygen is released into the air during the process. Light or solar energy is captured by chlorophyll (CHLOR-oh-phil), the green pigment in leaves. It is then converted into chemical energy which is stored as starch or sugar. These starches and sugars are stored in roots, stems and fruits. They are available to the plant as food or fuel."

This text suggests that the food the plant makes (starch or sugar) is made in the leaves but (in the 2nd to last sentence) stored in the roots as well as stems and fruits. How does the food migrate from the photosynthesis site (leaf) to the roots ? What feeds the roots if it's not reverse capillary action ?

Obviously I am not a botanist either. Everyone I've asked these questions to, don't care to give an answer ... except you GpsFrontier and for that I thank you once again. Your responses have lead me to learn and find some parts of the answers I seek.

I have some experience with capillary action. I know that it can overcome the force of gravity. As I understand it a liquid will tend to go towards an area of greater heat in situations where capillary type action takes place. I believe a liquid in a capillary tube can be coaxed up, down or sideways by moving a heat source.