View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Default Dutch bucket winter squash

Hi All,
I have a few projects going and wanted to share them with you and get any input.

I started seeds in rockwool cubes and then moved them to Grodan Delta block after a couple of weeks. The germination and block growth all took place in an aluminum disposable pan with about 1/4 inch of water in the kitchen window. I start with RO water and nutrients at low strength, EC of about .6 to .8. I have used Dutch Master, Gen Hydro and Botanicare grownth formulas. I really don't think it matters one bit. I think fish emulsion would work fine also (read about using it somewhere). I adjust the ph to 5.8 and that is it. Keep the starter cubes and larger cubes wet but letting the pan go dry is not a bad thing, just make sure the cubes are moist and do not dry out. I think this material will stay moist or 1-2 days with no water in the pan. This should promote more rapid root development. Check out pictures. There is also bibb lettuce , a tomato and mescaline mix but those are another story I'll share later.

All squash were planted at the same time, the one in the dutch bucket is growing slower than the inside plants due to cooler outdoor temps at night etc. I live in So. Cal. This is all FUN!

Attached Images