Thread: Coco chips
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Default Coco Loco

Coco fiber (or fibre if your imperial ) Is a great Hydroponic medium. But, like almost everything, a few caveats to bear in mind. First it’s organic, which I mean as the two primary functions of Chemistry (organic and inorganic) NOT the pesticide free and earth friendly term of arte "organic" that’s tossed around everywhere. A lot of coco fiber, well, comes from where coconuts are grown and processed (think S.E. Asia, Sri Lanka, or Middle or South America). It is often processed in raw seawater. So it’s best to make sure your coco is sterilized (most processors do this). Also would be a good idea to soak it in clean, fresh water prior to application to remove any salts, etc. Now, back to the organic...it is an organic (living/once living) medium. It will eventually decompose. This could cause several issues, the simplest amongst them, a brownish tinge to the nutrient solution from very small particles becoming suspended in the solution (think stirring up a mud puddle). None of the issues with coco are typically problematic enough to not use it. It has excellent specific density and keeps roots moist and happy. Personally, I use Hydroton Pellets. They are pH neutral, sterile and most of all they do not decompose (i.e., useable forever). Other than that, as always, monitor pH and TDS, oxegenate and you should be fine. I use coco-peet (a finally ground coco material) for all my plant starts/cloning. it seems to work better than Grodan Rockwool and as a bonus its a heck of a lot cheaper. Matt- hydroponica.blogspot.com

Last edited by Mathmattx; 03-12-2009 at 05:02 PM.