View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default Worm Casting Teas

Has anybody tried this. I started reasearching this after talking to my new friend at the new hydro store. We were talking about animal fodder sprouts and I told her I was worried about mold as that is really bad for animals and especially my 17 yo sheep. She told me about the worm casting tea and told me to reasearch myself and go back with any questions I have but she thinks it could be a great "tool" for hydroponics and she will start testing it in her shop.
I did find lots of info on this and think I am going to try it.
Here is a quote I found:
" Castings Teas suppress disease and pests on vegetation and will boost the crucial microbial activity known as the Soil Food Web (SFW) which is so crucial to organic soils. Perhaps the most widely used and known use of teas is to suppress/eliminate black spot and powdery mildew on roses. By spraying Castings Tea on the surface of leaves, you are doing two things. First, you coat the leaf with millions if not billions of microbes all competing for a food source. Some, for instance protozoa, eat bacteria which may be eating decaying plant material. Others eat other microbes and their wastes. In the end, there are not enough resources for the harmful molds and fungi to flourish. In addition, you are also coating the leaf with a protective surface that protects the leaf cells from attack by foreign spores or airborne microbes. Finally, by inoculating the soil with Castings Tea, microbes break down nutrients for uptake into plants thereby increasing plant health and the plant’s own disease resistance/suppression."

Just looking for some feedback