View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
I like the way this greenhouse is constructed.
I do too, GpsFrontier. I have one started in the southeast end of my front yard. I used 3/4" PVC for the bows and a wood 2"x4" frame for the base that the marine ply will be attached to for the flooring.

I really like the way they did the ends. I'm going to do something very similar to mine. I learned a trick for bending lumber from a boat builder I knew once. It takes awhile to accomplish, but makes perfect bends in any length of lumber. That way no doublers, (scabbing), are needed and the structural integrity is retained.

That part of my yard isn't prone to falling limbs, so I can get away with the polyethylene roof cover.

I'll take pics of the greenhouse as it's finished. I used 10 foot, 1/2" re-bar inside the 3/4" PVC to give it structural strength. If using this type of framing works, I may use it for my other greenhouses also. It's *WAY* less expensive than using the fiberglass panels and can be replaced for less cost also.

The pics attached to this post are of that greenhouse. It sat idle this year while I was distracted on other projects, but I'll finish it this winter. Its leaning badly right now because it has no ends built yet and I haven't built the side and corner supports. They will be 6 foot, steel fence posts hammered into the ground on the 4 corners and the middle of both sides to a 24" depth. The 4 feet remaining will be attached to the PVC.

I intend to add galvanized steel pipes that are hammered into the ground for supports on each side of each bow. Right now, they're supported by stainless steel clamps at the bases and by the PVC/Re-Bar that goes down the middle of the bows and top from end to end. The top Re-Bar is two ten foot pieces and the Re-Bar in the bows come up to the top/middle from each side and butt against the top piece.

I built this and let it set in full exposure to the elements to test it's strength and durability. After two years of sitting like this, it's still very strong and will be the model for some others I'll have.

I was a little disappointed to find that these guys used dirt to grow in. What a let-down! I was expecting hydroponics.

A note on the plastic mulch they used; The red mulch has already been proven to result in faster, larger and better growth than the blue or black. It was proven by the manufacturer of the red mulch in many, many tests. I'm not sure why they are retesting a proven method...perhaps because the only testing I know of was done by the people who make and sell it.
Attached Images

Last edited by NorEastFla; 11-10-2010 at 12:48 PM.