View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 02:16 AM

Well I just thought I would give a little progress report. First the side painting job has turned out to be many more hours than I expected. I have actually worked 41.5 hours on it to date. At $10 an hour, that's a good chunk of change, and I can use every penny. But I have still managed to get almost all of the pluming done. I just need to glue in the last 7 elbow connectors (one for each grow bed) for the flood line on the bottom level, and all the PVC flood and drain lines are done. I also have 2 of the 3 reservoirs drained, cleaned out, and refilled with water from my water filter system. I would have had the 3rd one done today as well, but it wouldn't have been drained in time to clean out before dark, so I left it half full to do tomorrow.

A few notes/observations. First is the in ground reservoirs are keeping the water nice and cold. Granted it isn't 120 degrees out yet, and the water isn't running through the systems yet. But the daytime high today was around 88 degrees, and the reservoir water temp was 64 degrees. Second observation is the flow rate for the water filtration system is around one gallon a minute. It takes 4 hours (240 minutes) to fill the 275 gallon reservoir. A little slower than I hoped. I was hoping for about 1.5 gallons a minute (the listed flow rate on the one micron filter cartridge). I can increase the flow rate to about 2 gallons a min by splitting the line to the one micron filter, and running it through two of them simultaneously. Though it's working fine for now, but I might upgrade it in the future when I have money to spare (just to make it quicker to do nutrient changes, considering I have 3 reservoirs to deal with).

P.S.
Anyhow, without any more delays like the possible rain this weekend, I expect to have water running through all three systems tomorrow. Then I'll try and post pictures early next week.