View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Why don't you leave the air pump on 24/7? That's interesting about the root mass, any idea why the root mass in the aero system is so small? Do you trim those plants a lot?
I did that the first year I started growing hydroponically and noticed when the air pump ran 24/7 I had a major headache with reservoir temps running the same as the temps outside which at times gets to the high 90's because air pump is pushing hot air into the air stone. I had to put at least 4 gallons milk jugs with frozen water at different times during the day to get reservoir temps down which was a PITA. Over the next 2 years I cut down on the amount of time air pump turns on also covered cooler with a car windshield sunscreen ($1 at the dollar store) and noticed reservoir temps stayed at a much cooler level. Didn't have to use any frozen jugs doing it this way and didn't see any difference when it came down to the health of the tomato plants.

Quote:
I wouldn't use a pump for a high pressure aeroponic system. I would use compressed air to pressurize an accumulation tank (like in RO systems) with the nutrient solution. And have an electronic solenoid on a cycle timer to open and close the water line to the misters. It will still cost a few bucks to build, but will provide the true high pressure needed. And be more reliable than turning on and off a pump for short bursts thousands of times a week.

I thought of using a small 1500 psi pressure washer I can get for about $100 to get the PSI needed, and modifying it for the aeroponic system. But just don't think the motor wold last long constantly being turned on and off all the time. Their just not designed to take that. Plus it would be noisy. The pressurized tank would run quiet. Just use a small air compressor like the ones you can buy for your car to pump up your tires to pressurize it once or twice a week to keep the PSI up.
I will have to look into this during the winter months. I would prefer to get more of a mist onto the roots for 5 minutes instead of spraying them for 30 minutes every 2 hours during the daytime hours.

Quote:
Have you calculated out how much more water the aeroponic plants are drinking (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 gallon a day per plant etc..)? And taking into account the size difference? I'm curious as to weather the type (an aeroponic) system may be a factor in the water consumption compared to other system types.
I hate to give you any numbers on this considering both systems were not started at the exact same time or had the same amount of plants and reservoir size. The only comparison I can give you is from last year when I grew the same amount of plants from the aeroponic with the same reservoir used for the Dutch Bucket this year. In 2016 I will be growing the same amount of plants out of both and both using the same size reservoir.

Quote:
Are you saying that you only used 1/4 strength nutrients for the aeroponic plants the entire season? Yet they grew faster and with bigger fruit than the dutch bucket plants you gave twice as much nutrients to? That would defiantly be interesting.
Yes I only used 1/4 strength with the aeroponic the whole season and started the grow during the hottest months. I was actually shocked how fast they grew when it was steaming hot outside as they caught up to and surpassed the Dutch Bucket system.

Last year I grew twice the amount of plants using the aeroponic I had to fluctuate between 1/2 and 3/4 strength with the nutrients depending on how healthy the plants looked. Again I'm still experimenting and might try 1/4 strength from beginning to end with 10 - 12 plants next year.
Also want to point out even though you see hydroton on the top of the Dutch Buckets they are actually growing in Perlite. I started the plants aeroponically and transfered them all as is directly to the Dutch Buckets that are filled with Perlite.

Last edited by Stan; 11-29-2015 at 06:13 PM.