View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
How about you run a grow through in a another system with out this cleansing and just do the normal once a week h22o2 doseing and what ever drain and refill program you want and see what or if it makes a difference.
I have done that, that's why I know that it can be a real problem. I have had issues of things growing in systems that were unwanted. Granted, that is usually found with nutrient temps that were too high. But I just cleaned the reservoir for my peas yesterday because there was something in it. I have no idea what it was or where it came from, or even if it will come back now that it got a start. Today is the hottest day we had in a long tome and it's only 66 degrees. That's well below any temp that I would expect a problem with things growing in it. If you ever made your own beer it looked like the part you strain off before bottling, brown cloudy and murky.
Quote:
drop the stress on those plants to. can you imagine changing the dirt out around your garden plants every week just to be sure there clean?
Dirt plants are susceptible to root diseases just as easy as in a hydro system, even more so. It would only take me a few minuets to find a many links that list soil born root diseases. It's truly a misconception to think hydro plants are not vulnerable to root diseases simply because there is no soil involved.
Quote:
also how are you getting any micro growth when your dumping the tank and then washing it all out.?
By that thinking there would never be any algae growth either, yet it is there. It is not the sunlight that gives algae birth. If it did there would be algae all over everything that comes in contact with sunlight. Sure using a good quality water is a great help but that's not foolproof. By keeping proper nutrient temps and regular cleaning, I can hopefully keep bad microbes and pathogens at bay, before they have a chance to multiply out of control. As in the case of my peas I mentioned.
Quote:
Aslo once a week is way to often to be dumping tanks and to expensive.
This would depend greatly on the size of your reservoir as well as the plants you are growing. Yes commercial operations don't change there reservoirs that much, but they have the equipment to monitor the nutrients. They also grow specific crops in one reservoir and know what these plants require in nutrients. Commercial operations also manufacture there nutrients or have them manufactured for them, this way they can replenish the nutrients the plants take up faster to keep a balanced nutrient solution. Commercial operations also use either ultraviolet light or Ozone Generators for root disease control. Commercial operations also have water purifiers. Home hydroponic gardeners (especially new ones) have a ppm and pH test meters, and a some kind of water purifier at best.
Quote:
Lets not scare the new guys into a path of taking there systems donw and cleaning them.
I am by no means am wanting to scare off anyone. But at the same time I want to be realistic, I don't take the salespersons approach. Getting them to buy it, then let them figure out it isn't what they thought it was. If they know the possible problems before hand, they will be able to build better systems the first time around. As well as have better success.
Quote:
lets go with light blockage and cool nute temps and good nutes.
All good advice, although hardly foolproof and would be negligent to suggest so. Again, the more people know about possible problems the better success they will be able to have is my goal.
Quote:
hard to get inside my hydrofarm hoses and clean them once a week?
True, I don't really clean out the inside of them either. I do however flush hot water through it for a few seconds at the same time I clean the pump and pump filter. I don't get anything I can see coming out, although I still have tubing from last summer that has caked on stuff inside it. The truth is if someone is scared off by doing a couple minuets of work every week to their hydroponic systems, they wont have much success with it in the long run anyway. Hydroponics takes more work than soil grown plants but has many advantages. Keep in mind also that most if not all new people just starting out in hydroponics (just like with all new hobbies) cant, or don't want to shell out much money for all the bells and whistles until they have some success first.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-30-2010 at 10:55 PM.