View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instructkamal View Post
Hello all

I have recently start learning about hyderoponic . I want to setup a facility in my area but i'm curious since in my area in summer temperature goes till 35-50 degree celcious , or say 90-120 Fahrenheit . Is that a good option. and what kind of vegetable or crop i should go for . I was thinking about tomato and strawberry but it seems that they can't live on that heigh temperature. Please somebody suggest something

Thanks

KP
Tomato's generally like warm weather, 120F is a bit high but may still work fine, especially if you use heat tolerant variety's and place them where they get shade in the hottest part of the day. I live in the desert where the summer temps reach over 120F every day starting late June-early July. I had strawberry's growing last summer, but I pulled the plug on them in early July because I was unable to keep the nutrient solution temp under control. But I had hundreds of flowers on 32 strawberry plants at that time, with berry's as well. I had a shade cloth structure covering them to help protect from the direct sunlight. Though you will probably get smaller berry's with the higher air temp than you would in cooler temps. You will need to cool the berry's down quickly once picked, or they wont last long at all. Like sticking them in the freezer right away for 15-20 minutes before sticking them into the refrigerator.

Peppers do well in the heat, I think just about all variety's of them. I had some growing last summer but I had the same problem with controlling the nutrient temp with them as well, so I pulled the plug on them for the same reason. For me, the nutrient temp is my biggest issue in the summer. I have some honeydew melons seeds started that I plan to try this summer. I will place them on the side of the house where it gets shade in the hottest part of the day (afternoon-evening). Make sure you keep the nutrient solution temp at or below 72F or the plants will suffer.

I will build a geothermal reservoir for the nutrients. I will be building a insulated box-trench to contain the growing medium and roots. As well as a insulated top for the box with the plants sticking up through it (removable without hurting the plants). I hope to even paint the outside with white roofing insulation for even more protection. It will be a drip system with all the above ground lines insulated with pipe insulation. That should keep the root zone cool.
Attached Images