View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Maybe instructkamal simply tells us where the actual location is and what the yearly temperatures and the climate actually is, - before we get into a purely subjective debate on principles that do not apply at that end
You should not assume that there is only going to be one person who reads the post. So specif and exact conditions are helpful with decisions, but other people want to apply the information to there exact conditions also. Subjective debate is the point, not just principles that are only useful to one person.
Quote:
from 30°C upwards. And here we are talking commercial growing according to high seasonal market prices, that at least legitimates the effort and the extravagance that is done here.
Not for the home hydroponic guarder, and especially the beginner. As mentioned there are ways to keep them warm, and there are ways to keep them cool if one wants to take that on. But most first time people don't really want to try and do that (again there is more than one person reading this thread).
Quote:
Especially for beginners and people who have more seasonal flexibility, I STRONGLY recommend to respect the seasonal climate if only they can. Simply avoid planting such heat sensitive plants like tomato and strawberries during the hottest months (like everyone else in the region does), because climatic conditions are clearly unfavorable.
I don't know where you get your tomato plants from, but mine are not nearly as heat sensitive as yours are. I grew them in soil successfully all summer long in California where we had weeks of over 100F degree days. They were not even heat tolerant varieties. Strawberry's as well, but they didn't get enough sunlight being so close to the ground in that location. But yes it is best to grow seasonal plants, when growing outside in the natural climate. Talking to local nursery's will help with those decisions.

But the conditions don't need to be 100% perfect, they never are, and both tomato's and strawberry's grew well for me in 100 degree heat. Even though strawberry's are generally considered cool weather crops (from what I understand) but they grew well for me in our 120 degree days here (under shade cloth) even so. Even our local farms in southern Calif were growing strawberry's in 100 degree weather, so I was just doing "like everyone else in the region does." They sell strawberry plants here in the desert (the ones I grew) in late spring, they wouldn't be doing that if they weren't expected to survive into the summer.

The only reason I pulled the plug was because of the 90 degree nutrient solution temperatures. Adding ice was helpful but I wasn't able to make enough to cool down 40 gallons twice a day when the outside air temp got into the 120 degree range. Even if I could, it wouldn't stay within the low 70's for more than a few hours. It was just to hot to spend all day digging the required dirt (rock), not to mention I had no money what so ever to buy what I needed to build the geothermal reservoir. I would (and will) do it again in a hart beat as long as I can keep the nutrient temp down efficiently.
Quote:
the air temperatures may still prevent blooming or proper fruit setting with these.
Fruit setting was not a problem for me, but as I mentioned you may get smaller berry's because of the high air temp. Also when there are many berry's on one stem. But as long as you are not expecting the largest berry's, and are willing to do some trial and error it's completely doable. That at least legitimates the effort
Quote:
You can always go against all odds and "pull the plug" when it goes wrong again for the second or even third time, - but how smart is that at the end?!
Learning from the experience is invaluable for anything, without doing so you wont ever be able to fix the problems. Not even trying is the real problem. In the end that's the only way to learn, and in turn is invaluable for those who want to learn, rather than just being told what to do like a sheep.