View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM

I think I can answer a few of those for you.

I germinated and keep my seedlings in a 1/4 strength solution. I tried a 1/2 after the 4th leaves, but they started to curl under. The advantage of the 1/4 strength is that you can germinate them, and the will be able to use the 1/4 strength for a while, not to mention my lettuce were not happy with (and still are not going on their 5th tiny leaves) the 1/2 strength. I get a lot of curl under and have to dilute it back down.

The water should be about the bottom of the netcup maybe just over the bottom. The rockwool will wick the nutrients up and you don't want to drown the poor things :P I would start with just over the plastic on the bottom of the netcup. If the top of the rockwool feels dry sitting at that level raise it a little. If it feels too wet try bringing it down just a hair, but if the rockwool is just touching you should be fine.

I grow in flouresents, and they get a full 18 hour day. But you will definitly want to do some shading from the FL direct sunlight. I am in central florida as well and I am almost certain the humitidy blocking the ability of the plant to breath and the direct sun would cook the little leaves fast.

I really enjoy using polyester batting (baught at any craft store with a sewing section) You cut a little circle the size of the intented net cup. put the seed down in the fibers a little and keep it moist. It will germinate nicely.
(polyester is what STG is made of)

It is PH neutral and non reactive. It is also acid resistant, so low PH levels won't degrade it over time.

I can't comment on the materials you are asking about without more research into them. CPVC gives off fumes over time, and that is increased with higher acid content. So never use CPVC or your plants could taste like plastic or worse could happen. I haven't done much research into what the hazards are, but regular PVC is cheaper. There is also flexible PVC so you might be able to get some PVC based liner. The system your thinking about would work great for lettuce. It would only have to be about 4-6 inches deep, depending on the lettuce you are growing. They don't take a whole lot. If you do use that I would think either a circulation system with an airated res, or good airation in the floting system would be important to prevent root rot. But I have seen people get away without it.