View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 01:07 AM

Hello T'Mater
No, I've not tested EC/TDS/PPM yet. I don't use/have a EC/TDS/PPM meter, and there is no money in the budget to buy a good one at this point. I have checked/compared pH, but that didn't have any conclusive results. The pH of our outside water (unfiltered, straight from the city supply) was about 7, our inside water (filtered through the water softener) was about 7, the water from the water filtration system I built was about 7, the water from the RO system was slightly lower at about 6.5. Bottom line there is only a .5 difference between the straight unfiltered water and RO. Eventually I will do some water testing to see what minerals/chemicals are in our water supply, as well as what's left after the water filtration system. But that will need to wait until I'm making money for it from the greenhouse. From there I can adjust/change the filters to be more effective if necessary.

Right now I'm using 1 pre-filter to get out seatmate that can clog the other filters. Next in line there are two carbon filters, and lastly is a absolute 1 micron filter. I expect to change the carbon filters to carbon/ion exchange filters next time I change them. I bought everything from Home depot. I attached pictures of what I bought. The two filters on the right with the red ends are the carbon filters, the filter in the center is the 1 micron, and the twin pack on the left is the pre-filter. The close up is of the label on the 1 micron filter. The water quality you get from a system like this is about 3 things, and is completely adjustable. First variable is the quality of the water source you start with, second is what filters you decide to use, and lastly (is related to the last one) how many different filters you actually choose to use.
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 03-29-2012 at 01:12 AM.