View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Nice setup you have there. Good looking pics.
That was last summers design. It worked fine until the temperatures got so I wasn't able to control the nutrient solution temp effectively. But it took about 40 gallons of nutrient solution to flood and not run the pump dry. I have a new design for strawberry's that I plan to build as soon as I can afford to (pictures attached).

It will have 4 times the plants (128) but only use about the same amount of nutrient solution to flood as my old design. Each tube will hold 16 plants, and 4 tubes in the system for 64 plants. I plan on building two of these for a total of 128 plants. This design can be laid out many different ways, but the key aspect is the use of the square tubing to double the amount of plants in each tube by turning the square tubing on it's edge. I will be building a geothermal reservoir like I did for my tomato's (only larger), as well as warping each tube with blue foam insulation (again like with my tomato's). I will also use pipe insulation on all the above ground pipe and tubing. I may also build a geothermal trench design (heat exchanging system), for additional protection from excessive nutrient temperatures if needed.
Attached Images