![]() |
Home | Store | Blog | Forums | FAQs | Lesson Plans | Pictures |
|
|
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
Also by that same thinking then I could only suggest buying a hydroponic system that was manufactured by a company specifically for hydroponics, instead of building your own. After all, unless it was designed for hydroponics it simply cant be used for hydroponics unless you are willing to risk your life right? Heck I use fountain pumps for hydroponics (not a hydroponics pump), I guess I should stop doing that or I may wind up causing a fire or electrocuting someone. Not for me, I'm simply not going to live my life in fear. Even when we have thunder and lighting storms I love to go outside and/or have windows open to view it. Not because I'm ignorant to the danger, but I know the odds and I'm simply not going to cower under the bed in fear. If I really felt a need I would simply install a lighting rod on the house. This world is filled with inventions that were devised out of necessity. If we waited for some company to design something before we were allowed to use it, how would it ever get invented in the first place, especially when they were simply afraid to build it? We would not even have electricity if Benjamin Franklin was afraid to fly that kite. Have you ever flown a plane? Seen one? Before the Wright brothers, who was it that determined the plane parts were safe to use to build the plane with in the first place, much less could guarantee it would fly? If only using quality equipment is necessary and important (especially for a business), then I would think you would be buying a greenhouse and hydroponic systems instead of building your own. Ever think one of those panels might come down while someone was under it and slit their throat, or penetrate their skull. You couldn't blame a manufacture because it was built by you, and then where will you be. So if the possibility exist of anything possible going wrong no mater how slight, even if you are not the one building it you simply need to suggest a commercially manufactured product right? Again it's about what one is comfortable with in their own ability that makes the difference. Inverters are not afraid to invent, nor am I. The way I see it, fear of ones own ability's can be projected into the fear of others ability's. If we all relied on the ability's of the least capable, then where would we be? Each and everyone of us needs to use our own common sense, as well as understand our own capabilities. Take that as a disclaimer if you wish, but I expect that anyone that wishes to build anything is capable of using there own common sense in doing so on their own. Also the way I see it, I don't feel I have shown any disregard for anyone's life or safety (including mine). I more or less have just stated that the expensive products mentioned were not anything that I would consider (my opinion). I have just stated my feelings and opinions about using high priced specialized fans, as well as how I would go about things in that regard. I have also not given any specific directions on how to fabricate a fan system. Not that I would be afraid to give some ideas, but I did ask some questions about the particular application, and did not get any information about that aspect, so how could I. Bottom line, that type of thinking does nothing but promote fear, impede invention in any industry. As well as keep making money for the large company's that want to charge anything they want for their products. Again that's just out of the realm of my comprehension as to why anyone would want to go on that way. I too have seen some things that you just have to ask "what were you thinking" but you simply cant blame everyone for the mistakes of a select few. And I simply cant recommend spending unnecessary amounts of money for something because of fear that one in a thousand may decide not to use common sense. To that one in a thousand, spend the money for the commercially built product. Last edited by GpsFrontier; 11-14-2010 at 07:01 AM. |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Wow, what a post. Most of what you say is nothing more than your opinion about how you feel. I believe that much of what you've said is wrong.
First, I was speaking of how a business should consider using equipment, not a private person in thier own home. Secondly, right there in my post, I made it clear that if you are willing to take responsibility for your actions and the results of those actions, then it makes no difference to anyone what you do. You've gone off on a rant about things that have nothing to do with what I was talking about and the tone of your post is starting to get aggressive. Here's a plain fact for you; give the manufacturer of the Lasko fans a call. Ask to speak to one of their engineers. Tell him you want to install ducting onto one of their free-standing fans and ask if that will affect it's lifespan and/or safety. Here's what they will tell you; The fans are not made to use with any restriction. Ducting adds restriction to the fan if the ducting is of any length at all. That restriction will cause unequal pressure to the bearings and cause the fan to bog down slightly. That slowdown will cause more electrical currant, more heat on the wires and the bearings and radically shorten the lifespan of the fan due to it being used in a manner that it was not made to be used for. Most of your hypothetical questions in your post were nonsense. Your tone was a insulting and your insulting little questions throughout your post were those of an immature person. If you choose to disregard common sense and do whatever you want to do, life will educate you. I certainly don't need to. If you want to use this site to advise people to do things that are not smart to do, and then get all pissy with them when and if they disagree with you, then fine, you can do so without my seeing it. Goodbye. You've talked me into leaving this site. |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
you have definitely misunderstood my intentions. True I was not sugarcoating my words, and simply just spoke straight forward. But my "little questions throughout" were not meant to be insulting, they were meant to make people think about all the contributions that were made from people that were not afraid to try. Even when they only got flack from all their friends and family's for doing so (I don't see trying as wrong). Personally I get that type of flack all the time, but when they see what I was talking about (when they see it built), they understand and pretend like they knew it would work all the time. That kind of thing wears thin on me, so I just don't feel like sugarcoating it. And the comparisons of using one product for a different purpose was also not meant to be insulting, but was meant to take a look at how general that comparison can be if someone wanted it to be. That's why I asked "how far do you take that thinking" (because I really don't know). I have talked to so many people that take that kind of thing to extremes, that it's just ridicules. But never-the-less, that's their true beleif. That's why I gave the example of my mom yelling at me for using a dish towel for the counter and hands (as an example of that type of extremes). By the way, as long as it's brought up. To be honest using terms like "Saturday Night Rigging," "jury-rigged" and referring to "homemade" equipment just being a problem waiting to happen, well I have to say that was all insulting to me. As well as "temper that path of reasoning when it's offered as advice to others unless you're also willing to risk their lives and property," that suggests that I have no regard for the lives of others, and I take that as a "major" insult towards me. Even going beyond an insult, that's saying I have no character or ethics, and really cuts me to the bone. Talk about getting pissy, I have no idea why you would even want to make such a statement towards me, but I'm still offended by it. Also this statement "If you choose to disregard common sense" is also insulting to me, but just like the type of flack I run into all the time, that just shows that it's only based on your own ability's (not mine), and your obviously just perceiving your ability's onto me. That's not meant to be insulting, but just straight forward (I am not you). Also 99.8% of the people who read this forum are home gardeners, not businesses. Keep in mind that only about 2% to 3% of the people who read them even register much less even post anything. They register just to see the pictures. Why? because hydroponics is new to them and there looking for ideas. Same goes for the ones that don't register, except they don't feel that taking the time to register is worth it to see the pictures. As for the comparison about building your own greenhouse, again that was not meant to be insulting. But it was meant to point out that sometimes things can happen (even when not intended). And sadly in today's society most people are just out to assign blame on others, and then just sew people. Instead of taking responsibility for not using their "own" common scene. So in the absence of a manufacture to blame, the blame would be placed on the person who built it. It may be a one in a thousand fluke, but that's what you focus on with regard to someones house burning down. So I just brought it up as another thing to worry about, as long as you were looking for things to worry about anyway. I was not assuming that you didn't have the ability to build one that was safe, but by the same comparison does not imply that everyone can either. That's my point about ones 'own" comfort level in their "own ability's" when it comes to building something. By the same token just because you are uncomfortable about building something to operate safely, does not mean that everyone is limited by that same knowledge and comfort level either. The way I see it, it's just wrong to assume nobody else can either. I have no problem with pointing out possible problems (I will always do the same), but at the same time it's only paranoia to just assume that just because you either herd of, or read about something bad happening to someone else, that everyone else is destined for the same mistake. You here about the one mistake, but you never here about the thousand's of successes. If you only want to focus on the negative and be paranoid, then that's what you wind up with. It would be much more wise to learn from that mistake, find out exactly what the problem was and take measures to eliminate it (seems like "common sense" to me). I don't need to call a fan company to ask what would happen if you restrict the air flow. I'm not even disagreeing with you there (I actually agree with you on that if you haven't noticed), so I don't know why that is even mentioned. However do disagree that it's simply impossible to duct air flow from a fan without restricting the air flow. Obviously I have spent more time at Home Dept and Lowe's looking at, and asking questions about all the options they have in ducting connectors and ducting tubes. There's simply no reason a tube the same shape, and/or larger size than the output of the fan in the first place will restrict the air flow. And again there are hundreds of options in fans to choose from, they come in all different shapes sizes. So it's easy to find a fan that works with what's available locally to them. Then if there are still any questions about safety, there are even many options for inline fuses, heat senors and thermostats that will prevent any possible overheating of any device, even environment (if necessary). Yes 30+ years (sorry not 58) of building things without any safety problems (well except a few jolts of electricity now and again) has thought me a lot about doing so. So despite your insult, "my common scene" is alive and well. But regardless, again I say that I'm sorry that you feel like you don't want to be part of the forum community. Last edited by GpsFrontier; 11-15-2010 at 07:58 AM. |
![]() |
| Bookmarks |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|