Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Daily/weekly Hydro System Chart

Old 08-27-2011, 06:38 AM

Default Daily/weekly Hydro System Chart

Hello everybody,
I just finished version 1 of my Daily/weekly Hydro System Chart. I created it for the commercial hydroponic herb greenhouse I'm starting, but I will also eventually be adding it to my website for anyone to use. For anyone interested in keeping daily,weekly, and monthly progress of their hydroponic systems and plants I'm attaching a couple pictures of what it looks like. If you send me a private message and give me a e-mail you wish it sent to I will be happy to send you the original pdf's.

It's a 2 page chart, but it's in separate pdf files so you can easily print page one out on one side of paper, then print page two on the other side. That way you still only need to use one sheet of paper. Though I would recommend using a slightly thicker piece of paper than the standard all purpose copy paper, or you'll probably be able to partially see the other side through the paper like I do with our paper.

It's a weekly chart, so you'll only need one piece of paper each week. Then you can store the past sheets by date in a 3 ring binder, or cheep book report cover for easy reference later. That makes it easy to keep monthly and even yearly records. Also being only one sheet of paper each week, you wont have a tons of sheets of paper to store and keep track of if you have multiple systems. Just a cheep 50 cent book report folder/cover will easily hold a years worth of charts for each system, and store in a small space.

Anyhow more heads are better than one, so I'm really interested in comments and suggestions on how I can improve it. I tried to incorporate as many variables as I could, while still keeping it to one sheet of paper per week. There were some things I wanted to do, and may be in the next version. Like splitting it into AM and PM for some of the readings for multiple readings per day. I also want to improve the nutrients section, but because there are so many different commercial nutrients on the market, I haven't figured out how to make it universal to show the nutrient mix. That's more or less why I added the "Notes" section (though I'm sure it's too small for most people to write what they need there. But Any and all suggestions will be considered. So private message me a e-mail you want me to send the pdf's to, and try it out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 1.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 2.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1572  
Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Dang nifty man, i'll def. be printing this off for myself. Atm it looks like my system is shutting down. So def. be of good use for my next season.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 PM

That looks nice. I might have to make a copy to fit my lazy hydroponic attempts :P I think a few other things might be added for people that grow indoors like me..

I am finding the humidity to be too dry for the plants in the root zone. As the roots emerge they are drying in the air. An odd problem in Florida :P

I will look over it and see if I can think of anything that might be useful to add to it.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:33 PM

I really like it! The only thing I would add to it would be what plants I'm growing from X reservoir. I'll be printing that up for next year.

Thanks!!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 PM

T'Mater
No problem. This forum dosen't allow text documents or pdf's as attachments (of any useful size), so I couldn't attach the originals. But I took a snapshot of the pdf and pasted it into paint, then saved that as a jpg to get the images I posted. I haven't tried to print out the jpgs so I don't know if they will print full page or not. But if they print out fine from the jpgs that will work, but if not I will be happy to send anyone the pdf's if they want. Their not large files just 31.4KBb & 67 KB. I have already made one minor change. In order to help keep better track of dates, I added __/__ next to the days of the week in the two charts with days. So it now looks more like:
Mon __/__ Tue __/__ Wed __/__ etc.. Just to help make comparing dates with significant changes easier.

P.S. Your system is shutting down? Your computer, or hydroponic system/plants?

jamromhem
Yes, let me know what things would be useful for your specific grow. I'm not sure I've come across anyone who has a meter for taking readings of humidity in their root zone. Though the dampness of the root zone, as well as types of growing mediums, even root zone oxygen levels are useful bits of information for comparisons. I'm just not sure how to incorporate that in a practical way, but would love to. That reminds me I should add a place for dissolved oxygen level in the water, most people don't have a meter for it, but some do. I would like to incorporate spots for as much useful data as I can, then let the people just fill in what info they want, they can always leave spots blank. I still want to be able to fit everything into one sheet of paper, and that may not be possible to do and still make it large enough to read and write legibly for most people. But I'm also considering creating more than one chart, so people can pick charts that work better for their needs, or just print out all of them if they want.

Stan
I see what you mean, and I'll add that with the next version. Originally, my plan was to use a separate book report folder for each of the reservoirs in my 3 level hydro system, with charts for that system/reservoir. Then on the cover write the correlating reservoir/system on it. Like Reservoir 1 herb/basil seedlings, reservoir 2 maturing herb/basil plants etc.. However it may not be so easy to separate charts for multiple systems in a single 3 ring binder. Or if the unthinkable happens and somehow the sheets get mixed up (darn kids), then it would much harder to figure out what charts went to what grows again.

P.S.
Thanks for all the suggestions...
Also, I think I will probably get rid of the line "AM Time Cycles/PM Time Cycles." After I printed it out there looks to be enough room to write AM or PM next to the on/off times. That will keep people from needing to shift to the other side to continue writing their on/off times after Noon. They will also be able to make more use of all the on/off cycle spaces better that way (if they need them).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 08-27-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Some thoughts about it so far. The dates would save some space if you put it as __/__ to __/__ at the top in a corner instead of next to each day of the week. That will save some overall sheet room.

I was thinking that a lamination of the chart to hang next to the system and use of wax pen or dry erase, then copy to the log at the end of the week or something would be useful. But that is more of a personal use preference.

I am currently looking for a hygrometer with a probe
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Some thoughts about it so far. The dates would save some space if you put it as __/__ to __/__ at the top in a corner instead of next to each day of the week. That will save some overall sheet room.
Well that change actually made use of wasted space, rather than taking space to add (I added a new image of the updated chart). The days of the week were already there. I just shifted them to the left (instead of centered), then added the __/__ next to it in empty space. I did need to shorten "Thurs" to "Thu" or it would want to drop down and make a second line below (that would waist space). But I'm planing on using your suggestion for another reason. In the space where I have "Week starting Date___________ Week ending date __________ that goes all the way across the top, I plan to shorten up that to Week Starting ___/___/___ to ___/___/___ . Hopefully that will allow me enough space to add Stan's suggestion of "plants I'm growing from X reservoir" without needing more space to do it. It's not that I cant come up with space, I can always shift thing down, and make the section for Notes and Comments on the back smaller. But I still want to make more space for as much as I can fit in first. Then if I need to make the Comments and Notes section smaller for adding more I will.

The main reason I wanted to add dates for each day of the week rather than just a week beginning date and ending date, was to make it easier to compare readings through specific dates. For instance not everybody changes their nutrient solutions on Monday (first day on the chart). Example: if they filled in the spot for the last nutrient change, and the date was 8/11 (a Thursday), and they wanted to compare how their plants have been doing after that date, as compared to before that date (assuming they filled in the spot as "Thu 8/11"), and say they were doing it today 8/27. They wouldn't need to cross reference the chart with a calendar to know what day of the week 8/11 was.

Ya, sure anyone who wants to laminate the chart, then use a erasable marking pen to fill it in in the greenhouse, then transfer the data to a permanent sheet can. That seems like extra work to me, but under certain conditions it could make since.

P.S.
I'm not sure if you are hoping to check relative humidity levels in the root zone with a hydrometer or not. But if so, that isn't the same reading. A hydrometer measures the buoyancy of water (specific gravity), and barometer measures the density of air (not water vapor). Only a relative humidity meter will measure water vapor (humidity).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	page 1 update.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1581  
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 PM

I call it a hygrometer because that is what they call it for tereriums for lizards and snakes and such..
Here is an example

I think I am going to move away from my current design untill I can get more equipment for it. I am working on moving to a curculating WC/ebb and flow. (Going to try to make it interchangable.)

The question I am having is the strength of OSB in a 6" x 4' section. I am not wanting to have bow out.. I could use a HDF or MDF but not sure about them getting wet should there be a splash here and there..

I will post some picks later.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM

Oh, I misread your statement, you said "hygrometer" not "hydrometer." I guess that would make a difference. I'm not familiar with a lot of pet supply's, but going by the link it is a humidity meter (as well as thermometer). I have a similar produce called a digital weather station just like this one Acu-Rite Deluxe Wireless Weather Station and Atomic Clock, but I got mine at wal mart for $40. It has a remote censer that works up to 100 feet away from the base station to measure both inside and outside readings. I will also have one of these in the herb greenhouse I'm building (possibly two for accuracies sake).

I think your referring to the sides rather than the bottom. That is you plan to use OSB for the sides as well as the bottom, and want the sides 6 inches tall and 4 feet long. If so ya, they would bow out. But I drew up a drawing of a simple construction that would support the weight, both on the bottom as well as sides.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1589   Click image for larger version

Name:	box2.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1590   Click image for larger version

Name:	box3.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1591   Click image for larger version

Name:	box4.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1592  
Old 10-20-2011, 03:52 AM

Just wondering if anyone has used the chart, and if they have any feedback for me?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:51 AM

For those that may be interested, today I finally got around to uploading the Daily/weekly Hydroponic system chart to my website. There are some large images of it, and you can download and save the pdf. to your computer, as well as easily print them out from the pdf. And as like with everything on my site, their free to everyone to use and share. Here is the link to the page:

Daily/weekly Hydroponic system plant growth charts
Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 PM

GPS, I'm going to make copies and use it for next years grow. I'm going to be breaking down my system in another week or 2.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 AM

Let me know how you like it when you get a chance to use it. Also let me know if you can think of any improvements I could make. I may even make different versions so people can print out a version that suits their needs best.