Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Nutrient Management Poll

View Poll Results: What is your predominant nutrient management style?
Drain to Waste 0 0%
Recirculation w/periodic full changeouts 4 57.14%
Recirculation w/periodic partial changeouts 2 28.57%
Recirculation w/no changeouts 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM

Default Nutrient Management Poll

I'm just curious to know what the dominant nutrient management styles are of our forum members. Do you recirculate over the course of a plants lifecycle, recirculate with partial changeouts, recirculate with periodic full changeouts, or run drain to waste?

After voting, it would be helpful if you would elaborate on the following:

Partial changeouts: how often do you do the partial changeouts and what fraction of your reservoir do you change?

Full changeouts: how often do you dump your nutrient reservoir and start fresh?

Understandably it is possible to do more than one style of nutrient management; vote for the type of management style that predominantly characterizes your growing of typical crops.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 AM

I do full changeouts, I am not so science oriented to test my nuts so I just change out completely every 2 weeks. I have found this works for me.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

I do both full and particial changes depending on the system and circumstances. I have pretty high PH in my well water so if I don't have enough RO water I do a particial change unless there is something nasty in the nutes. I don't know why my RO water has lower PH but it does. I've tested it several times with the drops both before and after and it goes from 8 to 6.5ish every time. I have to use lots of ph down and still have my untouched bottle of ph up from my first kit. I am going to build gpsfrontiers water filter system and see how that goes.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 AM

I don't exactly have a specific regime anymore. But I tend to do both full and partial changes. There are a whole lot of variables that affect my decision weather to do any change or not, but also when it's time to do any change. Typically I build the systems to do full changes, and mostly do. But I rely on observing the plants to tell me when to do what. Things like looking for changes in good color on the foliage, how much water the plants are drinking up (and being replaced in-between changes), odd pH swings, sturdy stock/stems, root color, etc. etc.. I also often replace the water the plants drink up with a diluted nutrient solution periodically (depending on variables).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-29-2012 at 03:59 AM.