Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

Any Idea What This Is ? fungus or disease?

Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 AM

Default Any Idea What This Is ? fungus or disease?

Say Can Anyone Identify What's Going on Here?
Well Last Nite My Baby Nephew Yanked My Darn plant
Out My DWC System (Wanted to Kill him) But As I
Discovered The Grow Plug Had Ton Of White Crust On
It Also Stem Had White bumps and Leaves Was Dying
around edges....

Info

That's About 1 month old Cucumber plant
DWC, under 150w of cfl one warm & one daylight
nutrient change every two weeks
Fan 24/7 - water pump 24/7 - 1 medium air stone
lights on 7am till 9pm

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture A.jpg
Views:	1327
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2753

Name:	Picture b.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	2754

Name:	Picture C.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	2755

Old 11-01-2014, 10:17 AM

Hello Bigdaddy216,
It's really hard to tell anything from the pictures because once they are full size, their just burly. However I am guessing either it's salts buildup or a fungus. I can't really see the difference withough't good pics or being there. However if it's salts buildup it would be hard and crusty. If it's a fungus it would be soft and mushy.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hello Bigdaddy216,
It's really hard to tell anything from the pictures because once they are full size, their just burly. However I am guessing either it's salts buildup or a fungus. I can't really see the difference withough't good pics or being there. However if it's salts buildup it would be hard and crusty. If it's a fungus it would be soft and mushy.
Yup It Was Fungus on grow plugs, It Also Had Spread to stems Of all three Plants so what I did was just started over since I know what went wrong
it was my humidity it was too high. but you know I had very good
progress getting plants to grow as I did for the first time. Im Quitting
but I am changing up my setup starting little smaller till I get hange of thing, I have the R.O now also I ditched that API ph kit and went with
all general hydroponics stuff and waiting on my HM TDS Meter

Name:	Picture 143.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2756
Old 11-08-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Yup It Was Fungus on grow plugs, It Also Had Spread to stems Of all three Plants so what I did was just started over since I know what went wrong
it was my humidity it was too high.
If your humidity was to high, the fungus would have started on the leaves and foliage, not the root plugs or in the root zone. Humidity is moisture in the air (where the leaves are). Moisture is deliverer to the root zone by the hydroponic systems water delivery system. What type of root plugs are you using? Different growing media (and root plugs/starter cubes) drain better and provide more air/oxygen to the roots than others.

P.S.
Also, in most cases that a fungus is caused by humility, it's not really the humidity level, it's the lack of good air circulation that's allowing moisture to pool on the foliage (like a hot day when you can't stop sweating and your skin stays wet). That pooling moisture is what allows the fungal spores to germinate. Simply providing better air circulation almost always solves that problem (like standing in front of a blowing fan dries the sweat from your skin).
Old 11-08-2014, 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=GpsFrontier;12217]If your humidity was to high, the fungus would have started on the leaves and foliage, not the root plugs or in the root zone. Humidity is moisture in the air (where the leaves are). Moisture is deliverer to the root zone by the hydroponic systems water delivery system. What type of root plugs are you using? Different growing media (and root plugs/starter cubes) drain better and provide more air/oxygen to the roots than others.

No1.
I Have No Idea What Brand It Was; I Know It Wasn't Root Riot or Rapid Rooter, The Hydro Store Where I Got Them Sell Them By The Bag also Loose For About $0.30 each, Also I'm Wondering if my clay pellets was bad because they had a bag that was half used so he sold me some out the bag anyhow this time I am going with A Trusted Brand (Root Riot)

No2.
The Mold Was Below Covering Grow Plugs & Started Getting White Bumps On Stems Just Under The Clay Pellets; Because My Root Zone Looked Healthy
and had tons of long white roots nothing brown

No3.
I Take it from what you saying that I had poor air circulation that caused the mold. So I Need To Address that. One thing I don't understand is that I had 6in fan blowing cross them 24/7 non-stop and grow tent basically stayed half open just so stale air wouldn't build up

no4.
My leaves most likely was suffering from Nutty temp & humidity swings right? because I noticed that when it grew new leaves they didn't look like older leaves turning colors round edges until few days later