Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Grow tent / box or none needed ?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Grow tent / box or none needed ?

I think I got this idea from hearing talk of using lighting to simulate the sun cycle. Also when I hear of how much light (in terms of time) a plant needs , it sounds like when it doesn't need light , it must need dark.

We are starting out fairly simple so if we progress and learn and want to do more no doubt I can see having a very dedicate fully contained area. However, do I need one now ? The first project is a lettuce raft style system, 9 plants total.

We are not big light people , space is fairly small , 1 60w lights the dining room, and same living room. We have lamps and we could have more light , just choose not . I'm only mentioning this in the case that plants might be sensitive to even that amount. So if I had a corner, an office space that could be shared with hydro that is okay or not ? I'd hang my grow lighting over the plants of course.

Hope this is a decent question.

TIA
Stuart

Old 01-16-2010, 05:09 AM

To be honest, I am not sure I understand the question/s. I think you are wondering if the light from your household lights will affect your plants during the dark time. I don't use lights myself but I don't think I would worry about that. If you want you can adjust the light cycle so that the lights for your plants are on when the house hold lights are on. In general it's more about the regular cycle than anything else that will affect the plants. Changing the amount of light (in terms of time) back and forth will just confuse the plant. Some residual light from house hold lights wont be anything more than twilight to the plants at best. That going on/off at the same times every day will just be normal to the plant. It wont be much of a problem either if it's not at the same exact time each day, the plants will just think it's cloudy.
Quote:
We are starting out fairly simple so if we progress and learn and want to do more no doubt I can see having a very dedicate fully contained area. However, do I need one now ?
Do you need a dedicated area now? I am not exactly sure about this question either. How big is a dedicated area? What defines a dedicated area?
Quote:
We are not big light people , space is fairly small , 1 60w lights the dining room, and same living room. We have lamps and we could have more light , just choose not . I'm only mentioning this in the case that plants might be sensitive to even that amount. So if I had a corner, an office space that could be shared with hydro that is okay or not ?
I don't see why not, it's done all the time. A lot of people even have plants on their desk (even hydroponic plants). It just depends on how you set things up that makes a difference.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
To be honest, I am not sure I understand the question/s. I think you are wondering if the light from your household lights will affect your plants during the dark time. I don't use lights myself but I don't think I would worry about that. If you want you can adjust the light cycle so that the lights for your plants are on when the house hold lights are on. In general it's more about the regular cycle than anything else that will affect the plants. Changing the amount of light (in terms of time) back and forth will just confuse the plant. Some residual light from house hold lights wont be anything more than twilight to the plants at best. That going on/off at the same times every day will just be normal to the plant. It wont be much of a problem either if it's not at the same exact time each day, the plants will just think it's cloudy.
Do you need a dedicated area now? I am not exactly sure about this question either. How big is a dedicated area? What defines a dedicated area?
I don't see why not, it's done all the time. A lot of people even have plants on their desk (even hydroponic plants). It just depends on how you set things up that makes a difference.
You got the question right , thank you . I might have been a bit long winded in asking , apologies. You answered the question though. I just was not sure if I needed a totally dark space.

Stuart
Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 PM

no they won't really effect anything as more light (that plant can use) would be given off by the moon than a 60 watt incandescent bulb on your ceiling. The thing is in a open environment a fair bit of the light you are using for your plants is going to get wasted, thats why people grow plants in tents, boxes, closets etc with white walls so less of the light is wasted.