Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

some bottles overflow. Any ideas ?

Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 AM

Default some bottles overflow. Any ideas ?

I finally got my MK 1 "bottle garden" going. It was somewhat more challenging than I thought. Up here in Canada I couldn't find any 1" PVC pipe or fittings. 1/2" or 3/4" are the common sizes - I used 1/2 for this one to get an understanding of how it will work. I was not able to use the "cap in tee" technique. I 've tried another approach which seems to work for about 1/2 the bottles the others leak. My next step will be to fix up the leaks and the get some plants going.

One question I have is about the overflow - I've set that up according what is shown in the web site but the levels creep up beyond the height of the overflow and the and some bottles overflow. Any ideas ?

chryselwood@ns.sympatico.ca

Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 AM

your pump is to strong for your system. you need to use a overflow control valve to slow the flow to your garden or you can add another overflow that will give it more volume. You can add as many overflow pipes as needed.
I hope you didn't forget to drill the small hole at the top of the overflow pipe because that will cause problems also.