Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Local Fair

Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Pretty much confirmed my thinking but I told them I would ask somebody who had more experience. Im thinking I want to keep them in the corner of the barn closest to the exhibit where they wouldnt take up that much room and I could utilize an old freezer as a nute cooler that would be out of sight. There is also "some" air conditioning in the barn via swamp coolers so it will be cooler then outside and I can have a utility area to keep the supplies where they will not walk away. If somebody is really interested I can just take them on a little tour of the inside.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Still working on getting stuff lined up for fair. We had our home and garden show this weekend and the Master Gardeners want me to join and become one so I can help people interested in hydroponics. They have space opening up at their demonistration garden next to the library and want me to set up something there, but I told them I didn't think it would work unless there was more supervision otherwise the equipment would probably walk off. Anyway it's too much for me right now with the whole fair thing. I might enter the program later just to learn about the plant side of things since I have never really gardened before last year. I found a local strawberry supplier that will take the fairs PO's and the owner of the new hydro store sounded like she will be willing to work with me on some stuff for fair. I have been frying my brain looking at web site templates that will work for the hydro club; there are tons out there but hope to get it started on my weekend.
Saw some great plans for greenhouses and that sparked some ideas for my green house that we still haven't even started (finale payment for our cruise is April 1st) so maybe after we get back from the cruise I can start on it. Thinking about sinking it down below the frost line (have to look that up for our area) to utilize the heating and cooling of the earth with a brick froundation and putting the windows on top of the "knee wall" at ground level and on the roof. Just an idea so far.... Anywhoo it's my Thursday so I better get back to telling the guys in blue, green, and white where to go!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 AM

fintuckyfarms
I understand your time issues, and I surly wouldn't want you to over extend yourself. But If I had the chance to get into the Master Gardeners to promote hydroponics, I wouldn't think twice about it. The only questions for me are how do I get started, what's expected from me on my part, and what resources will I have to work with to promote it.

Throughout the US there are very few Master Gardeners that know anything other than growing in soil. It's one of the reasons I don't utilize their sources much at all, they have very little experience in hydroponics (as a whole that is). They do generally know about plant diseases, pests etc. but when you try to discus hydroponics with them, they just have no understanding what your talking about. That's one of the biggest reasons there's such a lack of support in the agricultural field. Beyond knowing how to use hydroponics to your advantage, the agricultural laws are all still designed around plants in soil, and don't distinguish between hydroponics and soil (kind of like the oil company's being selected to promote electric cars).

Changing the laws to support hydroponically grown crops will go a long way to supporting the practice. But soil growers are strictly apposed. Teaching them that you can make more money with less resources if done right will help change their thinking (it always comes down to the pocketbook). Teaching old dogs new tricks isn't easy. Teaching the puppy's new tricks tends to be a faster/easier route (if you can wait for them to be elected into office).

P.S.
Is your son helping you with a website? Picking a templat is more about how it functions than anything else. When just starting out it won't make a lot of difference, especially if only making a few pages. But you should always keep in mind being able to expand without needing to start over. Starting over can always still be done no mater what, but just makes it much more work the more pages that need to be redone.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM

GPSFrontier,
The ladies seemed very excited about it and took my name and number because they want my help starting a personal garden. One of them is interested in an eco pond utilizing fish (aqua ponics) and I told her I had some information from the internet and about a geat site specifically for us in the PNW. I also gave her your website for some basics. The current class is already underway and the next starts in the fall. I will probably do it just so I can make some contacts and promote it. Apparently besides the demo garden and fair, they also do some home shows and visit a lot of classrooms.

On the website issue.... I have looked a hundreds of templates on several differnet free sites. I really like a club one on google but I have been fighting with it so I keep deleting it and starting over. I think mostly because I have been trying to do it after work when Im tired or in my down time at work and have to stop when a call comes in or an officer talks on the radio.
I took a really bad call last night (lost a 3 mth old) and thought I would not do anything on it, but I finished the club logo (I think) and the header for the webpage. Guess it was good therapy because I didn't have any bad dreams. So today is my Friday and I hope to get the webpage up this weekend. Just looked outside and it snowed overnight so I'm sure I will be busy at work this morning cuz it's Monday and people are alway in a hurry and stupid!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Just found out that I have a meeting tomorrow at the fairgrounds to discuss location of the exhibit, budget and sponsorship. Not gonna lie, kinda excited! I have been busy putting together sponsorship/donation letters, sheets on how to build a hydroponic system to pass out to interested parties at fair w/a part list that includes items from local stores. Also the education boards about hydroponics so I can get them approved and send them off for printing before I leave in June. Busy, busy, busy, but it is finally my weekend
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Had a really good day today getting items donated for the fair display, I got 120 bareroot strawberry plants and they are gonna supply flowers for the second tower. I also got all the pipe and fittings donated for the towers and and NTF system. The new hydro store is gonna donate and give me some stuff at cost plus she wants to come help me work the fair. Still have at least 3 more stores to hit up but all in all a good day. Really the only thing I need now is some barrels and pumps and I'm good to go. For now I have 120 baby strawberry plants and no where to put them.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 AM

fintuckyfarms
Bareroot strawberry plants should be able to be kept in the refrigerator for months if not replanted yet. You've done a lot of hard work, as well as preparation. I know it will be a great success!!! And for what it's worth (I'm not afraid to say it), if you don't already know, I envy you. Great work!!!

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 03-09-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Awwww, thanks. I still have lots to do and still feel slightly overwhelmed but its one step at a time.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM

So, I have been really busy getting items donated for the fair display. Walmart gave me $50 which I spent on airpumps, air line, air stones and a tote. Home Depot gave me $50 which I spent half on pipe, fittings, a bucket to clean the perlite and some misc hardware. I still have a letter into Ranch n Home asking for 6 of the 55 gal barrels. I also received a used pond or irrigation pump from one of the board members. And the aformentioned pipe and hydro supplies. There will be a meeting this week for the fair board where they will be giving me some cash for incidentials that I find I might need and the education boards. The fair board is supplying a split rail fence to surround the exhibit and to hang the business banners on. The new hydro store manager is gonna come work the fair w/me and bring some of the ready made systems and a grow tent. We are thinking about matching t-shirts for fair. I also have a msg into crop king about getting some brocheres to hand out at fair about some of their large commercial system and the animal fodder system.
So far I will have the two towers, 2 pvc systems, hopefully a barrel system and a "nursery" display plus the stuff Niki is bringing. Any other ideas out there???

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 03-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 PM

Thanks to my son for helping me on the fair display systems. Three more systems are almost done. We have drilled sooooooo many holes The seedlings are popping up and should be ready for their new homes before we leave for Alaska in 7 days.