Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Watermelon Plant?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Default Watermelon Plant?

I'm growing 1 watermelon plant along with 10 tomato plants in 1 system link below.
http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/for...my-system.html
I see about 3 watermelons already starting to form on 3 different vines. Should I start clipping the rest of the vines that don't have any watyermelons forming as of yet? Should I also clip the vine that continues to grow past where the watermelons are already forming? Below is a picture of the watermelon plant from 5 days ago I will update it again sometime this coming week.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03890.jpg
Views:	4501
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1370  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:44 PM

Well from my understanding of how the vines grow. If you clip the end of the vine it will not grow any further in that direction.

If those are the only watermelons you are wanting you might think about pinching off any extra's you do not want, letting the vines grow a bit longer for more photosinth to help grow the current melons growing, before pinching of the ends to control the size of the total plant.

My sister does watermelons fairly often and the vines will do whatever they want and go everywhere you don't want them if you don't actively control them.

She had a number of melons growing in the woods on the back side of her patch and she never found them till she could smell them. (way to late)

I think what you do depends on what you are wanting from the plant and how much you think you can sacrifice to it.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the help. I will start to pinch off any extras I don't need.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM

glad to help I hope the plant grows well for you and provides some good melons for you. They must drink a lot of water with 3 melons growing on there. Or atleast they probably will be when they get a little bigger :P

You should post some pics so we can see them and see how you control them.