Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

trouble rooting my clippings

Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 AM

Default trouble rooting my clippings

Ron- clones. I am having trouble rooting my clippings. Rather than me rattle on about how I think I've done everything correctly, could you give me (and others) some tips. How do you root your clones and how long does it take? thanx- R

Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 AM

Don't feel bad. It took me almost a year to learn to clone about 15 years ago. I tried every method in the book until I finally settle on this method with a 99 percent success rate.

1 Start with a clean cloning tray with inserts which holds 48 or 72 clones. Clean old trays, inserts, and hood with a ten percent bleach solution to prevent passing plant diseases.
2 Fill the tray with vermiculite. Any grade will work.
3 Mix 6 oz of Olivia's Cloning Solution to 1 gallon of water. Adjust pH between 5.5 and 6.5 ( 6.0 being the best )
4 Pour all of the gallon of solution in the tray of vermiculite.
5 Use a nail or wood stick to poke a hole about 2/3rds way down each insert.
6 Put on your Latex gloves because human hands have oils on them that plants do not like. No matter how much you wash them. Get a new razor blade, an old one will not do. I also use Root Tone for an added edge.
7 Cut the clone from it's mother at a 45 degree angle. Dip in the Root Tone and stick the clone in a hole in the tray. About 2/3rds the way down the hole. Pack the vermiculite around the clone.
8 Place the hood on and put under fluorescent lights. More lights the better. You can use a metal halide if you put it far enough away to keep them from cooking.
9 The hood should fog up showing you that the humidity is high enough. After about seven days if the clones start to turn a little yellow then add a low dose of nutrient solution ( 300 PPM ) to green them up.
10 Ten days later almost all are rooted. You can tell if they are rooted by giving them a little tug. If they pull up put them back in and check the rest.
11 Wash the vermiculite off by dipping in water if its going in a hydro system and leave the vermiculite if its going in dirt.