Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

what about Mercury Vapor?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 AM

Default what about Mercury Vapor?

Ok I hear a lot about using hps and MH lamps for indoor gardening, but what about Mercury Vapor?

I found a 125W MV lamp at Wal-Mart for 35 dollars. I think it puts out about 6000 lumens (I may be off on that)
Also ron do you think that 125w MV lamp, a 100W MH lamp, 2 60W grow lamps, and 135W fluorescent tube is enough for 10 plants?

400W HPS lights are so expensive so I tried to go a cheaper route buy using alot more lights.
thanks

Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 AM

The mercury vapor lamps produce only 60 lumens-per-watt and does not fulfill the requirement light spectrum thus making it a pour light source for horticulture. Not only it is an expensive to operate, but it produces most color in areas that are not helpful to plant growth.

no

I bought 2 - 400 W metal halide for 30 bucks apiece at a flea market that came out of a factory. All I had to buy is new bulbs. They are out their. You can go into almost any large building or factory and look up and you will see MH lights. When those factories go out of business somebody buys and resells those lights for almost nothing. Resell shops may be a good place to look for cheep lighting.