Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

how the 11 plant system drains

Old 02-02-2009, 03:44 AM

Default how the 11 plant system drains

Mr. hydro, I'd like to know how the 11 plant system fully drains the water from the pipes to the reservoir. The only information I know is that when the tubes are filling up with water, the bottles fill up to the same level as the overflow pipe and then from the top of the pipe back down into the reservoir. I guess my question would be, how does the remaining water below the top of the overflow pipe drain back into the reservoir when that pipe runs up and back down again?

First, would I need some sort of fill and drain fitting connected to the hose running from the pump to the tubes?

Second, can I or should I run an air pump through this type of system?

thanx, Thanx for your knowledge
Riverratt

Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 AM

Ask a physics teacher. I know it sounds strange. It's got to do with water level and other mysterious forces.

No. Because when the submersible pump shuts off the water in the system drains back to the tank through the same hose that is connected to the pump.

It's a cheap way to make sure your plants are getting plenty of oxygen. Plug the air pump into the same timer as your submersible pump so it comes on at the same time.