Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

nft type of gardening

Old 02-05-2009, 04:26 AM

Default nft type of gardening

RON!! I'm using the nft type of gardening in a homemade planter. its a 12"/12"/12" box with a 3' piece of 3"i.d. pvc run through. I run a 15 gph pump into both ends of the pvc constantly and the nutrient solution drains into the center. my questions are 1 when I turn my pump off all the water drains back into the tank.(syphon) do you know of any easy backflow controls? Can I run my pump only 15 min every hour? I also have a 8" bubble wand (no Im not bragging) directly in the pvc. will this give the roots enough o2 and keep the water from stagnating? Im currently growing sweet peppers and 2 birdhouse gourd plants I transplanted about a week ago and the peppers look great but the some of the leafs on the gourd plant are kind of wilting on the sides any ideas, comments? Im using hydro farms liquid all purpose 7-7-7 THANKS RON U DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:27 AM

You didn't mention what if any type of medium you are using. Submersible pumps are designed to drain back through the pump when they shut off.
You can water every so often if you are using a medium to hold a little moister between waterings. If you aren't using a medium then you do have to run the pump continuously and putting an air bubbler in your tank is one of the best things you can do.
Maybe gourd plants don't like that much water.