Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My pepper/eggplant setups

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Default My pepper/eggplant setups

I have attached a photo of a couple of setups. These were taken a week ago. I have since put up a support system for the eggplant/pepper system. It's raining pretty good right now, so no pics today. I also have an ebb and flow system and am about to put my tomatoes that are in that into a drip system. I procrastinated and they are as tall as me, now (not saying much as I'm 5'6").

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewSystem1.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peppers1.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	782  
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Nice looking setup, I hope to do something similar soon. Not sure how many pepper plants I will have, but plan to use 2-3 gallon buckets, and run it as a drip system.

P.S. I thought about growing some eggplant also,do you know if it's a warm weather plant and how big it will get, also if it grows as a bush or vine, how much a plant will produce?

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 05-19-2010 at 02:01 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 AM

I've never done eggplant in hydro until this year. It does continuously grow up and produces suckers, but not at the rate a tomato plant will. They need to be trained. I had to cage them in the soil garden. I'm sure there are varieties that don't get as big. The main problem is the plant gets top heavy and the fruit can obviously get heavy. We pulled at least 8 fruit from each plant in soil last year, but we also pick them before they get too big, which allows for continued fruiting. The hydro plants are growing at about double the rate my soil eggplant is right now and my soil is very nutritious with years of sifted compost and vermicasts and tons of earth worms. I expect the hydro eggplant to reach at least 8 feet tall at it's current rate and based on what I have read.

So, if you want bushy, you will still have to support its weight, but you could cut the top when it reaches a couple feet high and let a couple suckers have at it. Just like tomatoes and peppers.