Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

Closet design

Old 12-18-2014, 02:56 AM

Default Closet design

Hi. I would like to build a vertical wall design in my closet. On one side, I have a depth of 20 inches with a height of 8 feet. I am interested in things like cabbage, lettuce, peppers....no tomatoes.

The other side of the closet would be the lighting.

What I don't know is how compact I can design the system in order to maximize the yield. I.e. How many 2 inch pots can fit in all this.

The reason why I want to maximize the yield: family of six.

Thank you for any help

Old 01-19-2015, 04:12 PM

Hey Agraco! I know this thread is old and I'm super new but I wanted to share a design with you. I have been using it for lettuces and herbs. Growing peppers in a closet would be...cramped? Maybe a small variety...Anywho, I use metro shelving which is 18" deep, 48" wide, and 6' tall give or take. You can find additional 2 foot posts to extend the rack up to 8' high but I ran into the problem of pumping water up and then having to get a step ladder to see up that high. I also wrapped the rack in mylar I found on amazon to keep light in.

The shelving has 3 gutters per shelf with holes drilled about every 8". I'm actually in the process of tearing it apart and going with only two gutters per shelf as the lettuces started to attack each other. I used the PVC gutters from home depot along with sprinkler tubing for supply and drain lines. I have two inch net cups that sit in the gutters and hover over the bottom of the gutter by about 1/8". I hope this helps with your project!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg
Views:	1349
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg
Views:	1371
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2773