Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Setting up a Kratky system for Baby Greens and DWC for larger plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 PM

Question Setting up a Kratky system for Baby Greens and DWC for larger plants

I'm a 69 year old new-retiree lady here setting up a homemade Kratky and DWC system to grow lettuce, greens, small cukes, and small determinate cherry tomatoes under 65 (300 equiv) and 42 watt (200 equiv) cfl bulbs indoors on a 4 shelf rack and the nearby floor (for tomatoes and cukes).
Help. I'm drowning in doing research and would like to still be alive long enough to harvest a tomato.
Would a "Hydrofarm AAPA15L 6-Watt 15-LPM Active Aqua Air pump with 4 Outlets" (Amazon) be enough with a few extra splitters and valves to supply air stones to four 1 or 2 gallon containers and four 1 or 2 quart containers?
I'm also guessing at ordering the 40 mm "Jardin Ponds Ceramic Air Stone Diffusers for Aquarium, 31-Grams" (Amazon) air stones. Are those okay with using two in a 1 or 2 gallon container and one in a quart container?
After tons of research I'm saving the Kratky method for baby greens and DWC seems the way to go for a longer growing period. Any advice would be much appreciated.
I've had lots of outdoor gardening experience and indoor "under lights" seed starting and now that I'm retired and getting very creaky in the knees and back I'd love to spread out to do a lot more year-round gardening on my heated porch (sadly with Northern and Western facing windows).
The shelving system is 4 shelves that are about 18" deep and 30" long. The shelves are about 18" high.
The lights I already bought are four 65 watt CFL (6400K) and four 42 watt (2700K) bulbs in clip-on dome reflectors. I'd like to have two shelves for adult plants and two shelves for succession seedlings and juvenile plants and Kratky baby greens. I'm trying to figure out which lights I need on which shelves and it what combination.
It was great to find an active AND knowledgeable hydro forum and I hope someone can help me get my act together. I can't wait to get going.