Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Progress and Frustrations

Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
This is the part I have trouble withUnless they were talking about a specific variety rather than in general. Because pepper plants don't stop growing once they start to flower. That's not to say there is no merit to the whole statement in general. But that would mean the pepper plants you have were full size at this point. When actually they can/will get ten times that size, with peppers growing all along the way. I also don't think pruning it back would keep it from wanting to grow vegetation, unless you pruned it in the right places to keep it from growing anything new. But that wont stop it from wanting to, as I see it.
I don't think the intent was to suggest pruning would stop growth....but merely stunt/slow it for a time allowing the plant to divert some of that growing energy to flowering energy instead. I certainly don't have a PhD in botany or anything like that so I can't sit here and say it's 100% true, but I've uncovered other research that supports this idea as well so it was at least not something I'm willing to totally dismiss either.
I know my plants aren't "mature" by any means (they were still just seeds in little manila envelopes barely 3 months ago), but I also think you might be over estimating potential growth. Various sources, plant encyclopedias, etc all suggest that most of the plants I'm growing will average a "mature size" ranging between 2 to 4 feet. The bhut and habaneros I've seen estimated a bit larger than that, but not dramatically so. You're suggesting they will grow to 10+ feet and I just don't know they will get that large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Ya, the interweb is a great source for information, but you need to use some common scene and not just believe everything you find on it.
Yeah...that was merely an attempt at a joke.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I certainly don't have a PhD in botany or anything like that so I can't sit here and say it's 100% true, but I've uncovered other research that supports this idea as well so it was at least not something I'm willing to totally dismiss either.
I don't have a PhD in botany either, though I would like to because it would come in handy. Sorry, I am not trying to imply that you do dismiss it. Its good to see someone take the time to look for answers and not just believe the first thing you find. I too like to find information form different sources so I can piece the truth together from it.
Quote:
I also think you might be over estimating potential growth. Various sources, plant encyclopedias, etc all suggest that most of the plants I'm growing will average a "mature size" ranging between 2 to 4 feet. The bhut and habaneros I've seen estimated a bit larger than that, but not dramatically so. You're suggesting they will grow to 10+ feet and I just don't know they will get that large.
My estimation of 10 times bigger might be an over estimation but I didn't mean to imply they would get anywhere near 10 feet tall. If they did, the system I built for my pepper plants would have been waaay to small. By your pictures they look to be 6 to 8 inches tall, but my 10 times bigger was more referring to the potential of the total mass of the full grown plant and not just the height. If I were to give a size I would probably say 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall.

Although given the right conditions (as is possible with hydroponics) plants of all kinds generally grow faster and bigger than in soil. So if given the right conditions I would not be surprised to see a pepper plant grow to be 3 to 4 feet wide and 4 to 5 feet tall. Of course there many different variety's of peppers as well as hybrids of those variety's, so any plants potential should really be based on the exact variety and weather it is hybridized. That's kind of why I keep saying I'm not familiar with the pepper plants you are growing.
Quote:
Yeah...that was merely an attempt at a joke.
Ya I know, I completely got it. Just thought I would through out an example based on my own experiences. Not sure who coined the phrase "interweb" but I think I first herd it on Jay Leno a while back, and I laughed my but off.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 AM

Several of those guys are already over a foot tall. Still got a few shorties though....some have definitely not taken off as quickly as others.

Doing a nute change in the morning and I'm seriously contemplating swapping the lights around for a cycle just to see how things are affected. Though on a side note, there does seem to be progress. I can see now without a doubt that my bolivian rainbows have indeed started some peppers. My bananas have one as well but it doesn't look to have changed or grown any. I can see noticeable change in the bolivian rainbows though and the peppers are definitely growing. Maybe I just wasn't being patient enough (definitely not a virtue of mine). Still sure I can make a lot of improvements though.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Update....probably too soon to draw any firm conclusions from the light switch, but I did follow through with changing to the 400W hps. The (not so good) pic attached is showing a few of the peppers from one of my bolivian rainbows. They are almost all purple now. My lone surviving thai sun (the little guy that got damaged but was making a comeback ended up a midnight snack for one of the cats , so I'm down to just one now) has started a pepper as well. My banana pepper plants continue to simply drop flowers, the lone bloom that started to turn into a pepper hasn't progressed any at all. My peruvian purple now has open blooms on it as well as my rooster spurs, but no peppers going on those as of yet (but no flower drops yet either). Rest of the plants all have blooms starting on them, but no open flowers yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	521  
Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 AM

I think most chilli peppers grow around 3 feet but some can get upto 10 feet, here are some pretty big chili plants.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigatec View Post
Here is the difference between a CMH and a hps light, same fixture, but 2 different bulbs. Notice how orange the HPS is?
What would happen if you had a metallic reflector with the flo's and the metallic surface was the golden redish hue ?

Just an idea as I'm trying to figure out my own lighting needs.

Stuart
Old 01-16-2010, 07:04 PM

I don't think that would help at all. There is a difference between reflected light and transmitted l
Old 02-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Default Fungus gnat

I was looking into something else when I found a little something on gant's, Fungus gnat's actually (not sure how many variety of gant's there are). I don't know if you are still having a problem with them or not, or even if these are the exact ones you have encountered. But it reminded me of this thread, and may be able to give you some ideas.

Fungus gnat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://culturesheet.org/pests:fungus_gnats
Fungus Gnats, HYG-2114-95
Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 AM

No idea to be honest. Little buggers just look like really tiny little black flies to me...I wouldn't have the first clue on how to tell one species apart from the next.

Not a real problem though actually. Still have a few of them flying around here and there, but if anything I'd say overall I've noticed fewer around than before. They are still there though none the less. Don't seem to be causing any problems though so I'm not overly concerned with them.

On a side note...getting ready to harvest my first round of peppers. The Bolivians pictured previously here in this thread are starting to turn red and are about ripe. I have some banana peppers ready to come off as well. Rest still have a bit to go befoe any of them are ripe.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM

Well...here they are. My first pepper harvest. A hot banana pepper and 3 bolivian rainbows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0705.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	625  
Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 PM

I lay a No-Pest-Strip in the top of my worm bin to kill the gnats, it seems to work.