Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

My Hot Pepper Situation

Old 05-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Default My Hot Pepper Situation

OK, I have read so much that I have worked myself into total confusion. So, I found these forums and I pose my questions and situation.

I would like to grow Bhut Jolokia peppers indoors because I live in Michigan and they have a long growing season. I would like to grow about six plants. I would prefer to grow then in soil, but I am open to suggestions. I have no experience, so I need the advice from experienced pepper growers.

Grow medium: Soil is not a necessity, it would just be more convenient for me. However; if a full out hydro unit would produce better results, then I have no problem going that route.

lights: Of course we have the old stand-by MH and hps, but what about the new led technology for this situation? This particular strain of Bhut's can grow to 4+ feet, and from what I have read about the LED's, is that they don't have very deep penetration and I am also concerned with the LACK of heat generated by LED lights.

What I am trying to figure out is what is the best medium and light source for indoor growth of very fussy pepper plants. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by wrathofall; 05-01-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:29 PM

im kind of in the same situation as you are but i can shed some light for your situation....

a little while ago i ordered some naga jolokia seeds and i germinated them. i kept three of the plants, two outdoor on my deck (they dont seem to be doing very well out there) and one i keep indoor in a storage room under a 90 watt UFO led grow light. it is growing fine. i am using soil and approximately a 6" pot. it is not even one foot tall and it is already budding. after i get the first batch of peppers i will transfer it in to a larger pot and continue growing in soil.

recently, i decided that i wanted to try hydroponics so i ordered a 4x2' grow tent and bought some pails, pots, hydroton, rockwool and nutrients today. i have some air pumps laying around the house. i also ordered some jalepeno seeds and habanero seeds. i cant wait until everything gets here so i can get started on that project.

edit: my light cycle for the naga jolokia right now is about 17-18 hours on.