Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Some newbie questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 AM

Default Some newbie questions

Hello everyone!
i just started getting interested in hydro/aeroponics but I am confused in a few areas and I was wondering if you all could help me out?

First off, I think I'm going to build my first hydroponic system using a fairly easy method I've seen a lot on the net....using a plastic tote, cutting holes in the top, and then just suspending the baskets directly into the water solution that's aerated with an aqaurium stone. My question regarding this system is, is this more suited for plants like herbs/lettuces, or could I get tomatoes to grow with this system?

My other questions are in regards to more complicated setups I've seen. For instance, this web site shows an 11 plant system using 2 litter pop bottles....however, it didn't explain whether this system is constantly running, or if it's on a timer. If it is in fact on a timer, how many times per day, and for how long does the water solution need to be given to the plants?

I have also seen two other neat systems I am considering.....one is of a plastic tote, in which you take a submersible pond pump, and run a pvc pipe along the length of the tote....and then fit it with micro sprayers. My question once again with this system is, are these constantly running, or are these on a timer as well? And if on a timer, what kind of intervals are we looking at.

The last system I've seen that intriques me is the use of foggers. Could a fogger be set up in a tote like system as well?

I also see many people using large PVC pipe or vinyl posts to cut holes into and use these long systems.....even saw a guy on the net who had one hooked up with both micro sprayers and a fogger! Are there advantages to using long systems like this, as opposed to totes, or is it just all a matter of preference in how the system looks? Thanks for answering some, or all of my questions to anyone who responds!